Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would Charley Burley be Ray Robinson's Biggest Win If He Beat Him?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would Charley Burley be Ray Robinson's Biggest Win If He Beat Him?

Thoughts on this? It's well documented that Robinson was never really interested in the bout around the time when they were up and coming, and both prime welterweights.

His win over Armstrong was big but Armstrong was well past it.

Certainly one of them.

"I'm too pretty to fight Charley Burley"

A direct quote from Ray Robinson.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
      Certainly one of them.

Alleged quote.

Comment

Yes.

Skill and talent wise Burley would've been the best fighter he ever fought.

Comment

Certainly one of them.

Yep, read that. Couldn't believe it actually. Just goes to show you can't fight them all huh?

Comment

Originally posted by Still Blazin View Post
            Yes.

Skill and talent wise Burley would've been the best fighter he ever fought.
            I can agree with this actually.

Comment

Originally posted by Light_Speed View Post
              Alleged quote.
              He didn't deny it.

He clearly wanted no part of Burley for one reason or another.

Comment

Burley....a Boxer's boxer....the man who was Archie Moore's daddy.... It might be prudent to at least note in passing how freakin good Burley was. Not only a great fighter but (like Sweat Pea did to Chavez) Burley could make a geat fighter look like an amateur...Maybe it was something in the Pittsburgh water supply? Conn mad Louis look like an amateur for 14.5 rounds haha.

Not just Robinson...a lot of guys made it a habit to avoid this man.
                Last edited by billeau2; 03-03-2013, 05:36 PM.

Comment

He didn't deny it.

He clearly wanted no part of Burley for one reason or another.
                  I mean when we start to look at damage control....Someone says to RR "how about Lamotta?" and RR gets to thinking....humm? ok might get my face and ribs rearranged but I can hit back and if I lose? well it will look like this time the brute beat the boxer I mean **** happens."

Then someone mentions Burley....Well different story altogether...this man made one of the best fighters ever look bad in so many ways.... RR might imagine being outboxed, outthought and outworked, made to look like an amateur.

And this is no exxageration. Archie Moore was in many fighters opinion....people who know, the best fighter ever...Sort of like Armstrong with more subtle skills and size...and Burley embarrased him....TWICE!! No wonder RR wanted no part of that!
                  Last edited by billeau2; 03-03-2013, 05:35 PM. Reason: armstrong comment

Comment

Originally posted by billeau2 View Post
                    I mean when we start to look at damage control....Someone says to RR "how about Lamotta?" and RR gets to thinking....humm? ok might get my face and ribs rearranged but I can hit back and if I lose? well it will look like this time the brute beat the boxer I mean **** happens."

Then someone mentions Burley....Well different story altogether...this man made one of the best fighters ever look bad in so many ways.... RR might imagine being outboxed, outthought and outworked, made to look like an amateur.

And this is no exxageration. Archie Moore was in many fighters opinion....people who know, the best fighter ever...Sort of like Armstrong with more subtle skills and size...and Burley embarrased him....TWICE!! No wonder RR wanted no part of that!
                    Excellent post. You seem to be in the know here. Certainly the greatest fighter to never win any sort of championship IMO

Comment

Working...
                    X