No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Martinez Avoids Disaster, Surges Late To Stop Macklin

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Martinez Avoids Disaster, Surges Late To Stop Macklin

By Jake Donovan - The real middleweight champion has spoken, this time in the ring.

Sergio Martinez has been forced to go the soapbox route in having his voice heard in recent months. The Argentine southpaw has been in search of big fights befitting of his pound-for-pound status, but instead has been left with the type of defenses nobody else particularly pursues.

The latest came on Saturday night in front of a sold out crowd at MSG’s The Theatre in New York City and once again live on HBO, as Martinez made the fourth successful defense of the lineal middleweight championship with an 11th round stoppage over Matthew Macklin.

Martinez was his usual self in the early going, bouncing around with his hands by his waist looking to sharp shoot with his straight left hand. Macklin tried to maximize on the opportunities presented by Martinez walking straight into his right hand, but had next to no success in the first frew rounds.

A brief scare was endured by both fighters in the second round, though Macklin was worse for the war. Martinez scored with a straight left hand to knock Macklin backwards, but the Brit of Irish descent recovered well enough to score with a chin shot of his own. Martinez shook off the blow, but sheepishly grinned in acknowledgment of getting caught.

Martinez began to pay the price for circling towards Macklin’s power hand, getting clipped with a straight right hand early in the fourth after a convincing boxing display in the third. The success to be found from the moment was delayed, as Macklin ate two more left hands midway through before closing the round strong. [Click Here To Read More]

Buddy does it again! LOL

Comment

Chavez's handlers will AGAIN think of something to avoid Martinez fight !!

Comment

Originally posted by WESS View Post
        Buddy already got that towel ready to throw in........
        I said before the fight that Buddy was going to throw in the towel....

Martinez did exactly what he said he would do just took him longer as he had to adjust to Macklin not being as aggressive as planned. As all great fighters, he changed up his game plan and dominated, broke Macklin down and then KO'ed him. Like he said he would do.

Comment

By the way Macklin did against Sturm it shouldn't surprise anyone that he did well in the beginning against Martinez..Martinez showed what a real champion he is when he did the right adjustments to break down Mackling & get the win(by TKO)..Macklin did have a good game plan, showed he had heart & came to win, but Martinez was just stronger, better skilled & the more accurate puncher.. Even thou I don't agree with Lerderman's card(cause I had Martinez winning) it was a close & entertaining fight & I still think Martinez could beat & probably take out any of the title holders at 160lbs & at 154lbs..

Comment

Stop ducking Pacquiao!! "ehh uuhh manny is too small for meee ehh , floyd is safer I want floyd" After his lasts fight and Roy and experts saying Pac is on another level Sergio has gotten scared of him like crazy.

Comment

Martinez face after the fight. Not a single scratch.

Comment

Jacklin, Barker: Sergio Has Trouble With Guys His Own Size!

Which is why he'd never fight a Bernard Hopkins, and why he's always calling out smaller guys from Welterweight divisions like Mayweather and Pacquiao.

Comment

Macklin came out with a very good game plan and you can tell him and McGirt studied Martinez. He fought in a way where he gave the impression that he wanted to come forward, made Sergio commit, then countered to the head and body. Martinez was very confused by it, he even said he expected Macklin to fight aggressively, he didn't prepare for anything else but that. I'm disappointed that it took Martinez a long time to adjust to it, I would have expected him to adapt sooner, I thought Macklin's game plan was obvious.

Comment

Originally posted by Bombs View Post
                    Stop ducking Pacquiao!! "ehh uuhh manny is too small for meee ehh , floyd is safer I want floyd" After his lasts fight and Roy and experts saying Pac is on another level Sergio has gotten scared of him like crazy.
                    wtf lol bro pac and arum have been saying they want no part of him at all pac wont even say his name what articles are you reading

Comment

Working...
                    X