No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: HBO 2013: Making Lemonade

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: HBO 2013: Making Lemonade

By Jake Donovan - It was a bit poetic for HBO’s final broadcast of the 2013 boxing season to offer both a bang and a whimper. The December 7 tripleheader helped encapsulate the year that was for a network that, after more than two decades of serving as the undisputed industry leader, was forced to not only sweat out the competition, but spending all year shouting its insistence of still being the best game in town.

There still exist significant elements of truth to that claim, though no longer the undeniable fact it once was.

It’s a point that’s easier to argue when… say, James Kirkland rides out the storm of a high-volume first round from unbeaten Glen Tapia, to beat the crap out of the rising prospect in what was easily the most entertaining bout of a loaded boxing weekend. The super welterweight slugfest served as HBO’s televised co-feature, wedged right in the middle of a tripleheader live from Atlantic City. [Click Here To Read More]

The title made me thirsty for Lemonade and my local convenience store is closed

Comment

Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
      The title made me thirsty for Lemonade and my local convenience store is closed
      me too except my situation is even worse, my store is open but I'm just too lazy to go there

Comment

Kirkland is going to get good boy'd on HBO in 2014, isn't he?

Comment

Originally posted by Weebler I View Post
          Kirkland is going to get good boy'd on HBO in 2014, isn't he?
          I hope not

Comment

Just read the article, it appears HBO's PPV numbers have taken a hit. However, some of that has to do with Pacquiao fighting overseas, he'll be back in the US in 2014. Cotto maybe back too. Also, they're creating new stars in Golovkin and Kovalev, they could eventually be PPV attractions. Lomachenko on the come-up too. Fans love knockouts after all.

Comment

Good article! Author walks one through how the game is played in the ratings game, political arena, network battles and such. Refreshing change.

Comment

They should just make a giant HBO vs SHOWTIME/Top Rank vs Golden Boy PPV card already.

The top fighters of each network/promoter fighting each other, split promotion on PPV. Kinda like how they used to do Smackdown vs RAW on WWF. Those were badass.

Comment

Good stuff Jake.

Comment

I wish there was a fighter who could finish every fight by a KO... in the last round! That would be fun to watch.

Comment

Working...
                    X