Calf Raise 2x8-12

Boxing class M-W-F

Basic run-down of boxing class

Jump rope 5-10 min
    Shadow boxing/footwork exercises 5-10 min
    Heavy bag/mitt work 20 min
    Cross fit training 15 min
    Ab workout 5-10 min

They also throw in random burpees, sprinting, jogging, etc.

Is this too much work? Should I lift on some of my boxing days?

What are you trying to accomplish?

Instead of stiff legged deads, do romanian deads. They look the same, but in romanian deads there is a little more of a slight bend in your knees, which makes a huge difference in your hamstring, and it still hits your lower back. With stiff legged deads, its not good to lock out your legs putting so much pressure on your back. You can get away with it.....until it bites you in the ass. Just a suggestion.

But as far as your routine, i dont want to comment too much before i you are trying to accomplish. With that said, you should be including dips and pullups in your routine

Comment

I'm just tying to do a body transformation while learning how to box. Not really interested in competing. The routine I don't want to mess with, but I will change deadlifts from stiff-leg to Romanian. I've always done them with my knees slightly bent because I never understood the difference haha

Edit:

Body transformation as in:

Put on 20lbs more muscle (ish) and cut to 8-10% BF

Currently at 5'10 165lbs or so. Estimated at around 16% bf

Comment

Originally posted by aaronbabaron View Post
        I'm just tying to do a body transformation while learning how to box. Not really interested in competing. The routine I don't want to mess with, but I will change deadlifts from stiff-leg to Romanian. I've always done them with my knees slightly bent because I never understood the difference haha

Edit:

Body transformation as in:

Put on 20lbs more muscle (ish) and cut to 8-10% BF

Currently at 5'10 165lbs or so. Estimated at around 16% bf
        Fair enough, you can definitely reach your goals with those exercises. Key is to just be consistent, consistently pushing yourself in training and being on top of your nutrition.

Comment

Originally posted by akScoundrel View Post
          Fair enough, you can definitely reach your goals with those exercises. Key is to just be consistent, consistently pushing yourself in training and being on top of your nutrition.
          Thank you sir.

Another thing, I've calculated from many different formulas (Katch-McArdle is the one I'm going by right now) that I should be eating 2800 kcal/day to gain weight.

2500ish for maintenance, and +10% is roughly 2800. Does this seem excessive?

Comment

Switch your weight workout up every week. Do something different every week shocking your muscles with different workouts stimulates growth.. I take it you want to get big and learn how to defend yourself which is great. Go buy a Flex Mag do some of the workouts in their. Think about buying kettle bells and possibly throwing a cross fit class in every now and then..

Your boxing work out sounds good you know get the basics down then come back here to learn more.

Supplementation and diet is huge so work on that.... maybe go to GNC and get some muscle pharm assault and some GNC Pro Performance AMP Amplified which i think are the best right now.

That's about it man i'm bored and i have done a lot of coaching and that's my 2 cents.

Comment

Is the caloric intake enough, though? I've been told by multiple people it might be too little. And I've also been told I could possibly overtrain. Not too worried about the second part, more worried about the first

Comment

if you are training just to get in shape its a decent routine. if you are trying to be a boxer you are gonna get killed.

but if you are just training for general fitness which i assume you are, just make sure you mix things up a bit more. you are putting enough work in but your routine only covers a few exercises, it will only be effective for a few weeks then your body will get used to it.

find 3-4 ways to work each body part and switch between them. take chest exercises for example, instead of bench pressing every workout do it every 4th workout mixing in dips, flyes and pullovers.

change the way you do it as well, how wide/narrow your grip is, sometimes do it with dumbells to give yourself even more freedom of movement, or simple pushups. pushups are great because you can very easily change which part of your chest does most of the work by placing your hands more wide/narrow or elevating your hands or feet.

ohh and your boxing ab routine needs to be at least 20 min.

Comment

Originally posted by aaronbabaron View Post
                  Is the caloric intake enough, though? I've been told by multiple people it might be too little. And I've also been told I could possibly overtrain. Not too worried about the second part, more worried about the first
                  Id say its too little of a caloric intake. Especially doing boxing and lifting, that burns alot of.calories. Without running your numbers through a calorie counter, id guesstimate you would need atleast 1000 more calories, if not more (probably more).

As far as overtraining, no problem. Its no uncommon for people to do what you do (lift plus box), in fact its not uncommon for people to be doing more (lift + box + muay thai + bjj, etc). The human body is amazing, and only peoples minds limit it. What i will say is, nutrition, vitamins and periodic rest are important. As a general rule, working out 6 days and resting one day is good. Its also okay to stretch this a little, but you need rest, especially your centralnervous system. Just need to stay ontop of your nutrition and he takijg vitamins.

Comment

A thousand more?! So I have to take in 3800 a day? That seems a little excessive... Maybe I'll try 3000 and if that doesn't get me anywhere I'll bump it up to 3800 ._.

The muscle confusion thing is something I will try out as well. Thank you for all of your advice, everyone.

Gosh, 4000 kcal/day... That's just... scary...

Comment

Working...
                    X