No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Kevin Cunningham and The Boy Who Lived

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Kevin Cunningham and The Boy Who Lived

By Thomas Gerbasi - It should be a time for celebration. But Kevin Cunningham always catches himself. The fighter he has trained for the last 16 years, WBC and IBF junior welterweight champion Devon Alexander, is about to engage in the Halley’s Comet of the boxing world on January 29th – a Super Fight – against fellow unbeaten Timothy Bradley, but despite all the success, there’s still a daily reminder of the ones that got away.

He recites a few names: Terrance Barker, Willie Ross, LaDell Evans, Johnny Hubbard, “and so many more that are no longer here with us.” There’s also Alexander’s brother Vaughn, serving an 18-year sentence for armed robbery, and more lives lost to the streets of St. Louis, named by the FBI as America’s most dangerous city.

“We end up talking about a lot of those kids that got lost along the way, and we talk about them every day because it bothers me,” said Cunningham. “It really bothers me. I’m happy for what Cory was able to accomplish and what Devon is doing right now, but I always find myself thinking about the others, and they were just as talented as Devon. It’s a sad situation, but all you can do is put forth the effort and try to do what you can do. After that, there’s nothing else you can do. I know I put forth the effort. I didn’t stand on the sidelines and watch a bunch of young people fall by the wayside. I jumped in and tried to help them out and they chose the negative vices in life over this positive option.”

The voice of Cunningham, who is never at a loss for words, trails off.

Back in 1995, the former detective and then-patrolman opened a boxing gym in the basement of an old police station in the Hyde Park section. The goals were simple – give the children of the community a place to go, something to do, and a positive outlet that they weren’t going to find on the streets. That looks good on a press release. Cunningham’s reason for doing it came from a more personal place. [Click Here To Read More]

great story!

Kevin Cunningham talk a lot of **** but he is a GOOD MAN!

Comment

I've always admired Kevin as a trainer as well as a person. He talks alot but that's okay, he gives both the time and effort needed to be able to talk it.

Comment

Great Story

Cunningham is the kind of friend that everybody needs. He cares about his crew, he has their back, but he'll let you know when your fu...ng up! I'm curious, Is there another active or non-active trainer that has multiple unified champions that trained them from grade school on?

Comment

nice piece on cunningham.

Comment

Guys like Cunningham and Roach, even though they talk too much crap around, are very important for the world of boxing.

Comment

I respect trainers like that, bringing them from a baby to world champions. I know Manny Steward did it back in the day with Hearns but Roach never did it, McGirt never did it, and these kids are not his son's either although he is probably their only father figure! Much respect to Kevin the world needs more real men like him around!

Comment

They're casting him in a Harry Potter movie?

Comment

Kevin Cunningham is a straight ryder

Comment

Nice piece, but very misleading.. Cunningham, turned his back on the man that made him a name Cory Spinks and, once Devon started rising he kicked him to the gutter. He's an arrogant and disloyal MF and come the 29th he's not going to be picking up any titles he's going to be picking Devon's big head off the canvas...

Comment

Working...
                    X