Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GSP weighed around 192lbs tonight against Sheilds... Why is he ducking Silva again?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GSP weighed around 192lbs tonight against Sheilds... Why is he ducking Silva again?

The secrets behind GSP’s weight-cutting (and gaining) success
    By Maggie Hendricks

Mystery surrounds elite fighters and their ability to cut weight. How is it possible for Georges St. Pierre to drop 25 pounds by Friday afternoon before his fight with Jake Shields but gain most of it back and be full-strength by fight time on Saturday night?

It's no guessing game. Smart fighters treat nutrition as a science, carefully regulating their diet before fights. GSP's main trainer Firas Zahabi talked about what the UFC welterweight champ does to ensure a healthy weight cut.

Now he's on a protein and vegetable diet. Right now his exercise is significantly cut, but he's going to shed water. It's only temporary weight loss. It's not real weight loss. You're not dropping fat. (The final weight-cut) lasts about six days . . . By Friday he'll have six or seven pounds left and we'll put him in the sauna. I don't recommend this to anybody, even professional athletes. This is somebody who's very seasoned.

After GSP steps on the scale on Friday afternoon and weighs in at 170 lbs., his team will give him a carbohydrate-laden recovery drink. Then, he will eat normally and drink water to rehydrate. He'll weigh around 192 lbs. by the time he steps in the Octagon with Shields on Saturday night for UFC 129.
    Some fighters start their eating plan months in advance. Mike Dolce, a nutritionist and former contestant on "The Ultimate Fighter," works with fighters to ensure a complete eating plan that helps fighters cut weight without the sauna. Like Zahabi, Dolce does not recommend sauna use

"The guys who use the sauna to cut ten or twelve pounds, you're forcing your body to expel so much water so quickly that it's not discerning what water is safe to cut from the system and what water isn't. It's just taking it from wherever, and it becomes dangerous. That's where you see guys who don't recover from their weight cut. They look sluggish in their fight, and they defeat the whole purpose of all the training and the conditioning from their fight camp."

A recent study on wrestlers found that severe weight cuts could hurt their mental abilities in a match. Without using proper methods, fighters can find themselves in bad shape for their bouts.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/blog/cag...urn=mma-wp1628

true...cuz silva at most would come in at 210 or 200 only
    gsp knows silva was watching and would pick him apart
    i doubt this fight happens..

if anything i rather see gsp vs bisping at 185 before silva

Comment

I find 192 hard to believe...

Comment

Originally posted by BALLISTIC View Post
        if anything i rather see gsp vs bisping at 185 before silva

That fight make no sense. Bisbing is no measuring stick for Silva. Either GSP fights Silva or he doesn't fight at 185 at all

I find 192 hard to believe...

I'm wondering where they got 192 from? That isn't quoted anywhere in that article from a source and I have heard numerous times GSP stating his weight his around 185-187 lbs come fight night

As for as GSP ducking Silva, well its a huge weight jump for him. The problem is a two fold one.

1.) Hes moving up an entire weight class 15lbs
        2.) Hes taking on the P4P best fighter in the world at that weight.

So not only is he fighting at a class hes never been at hes also fighting a guy who is considered to be P4P better than him. Thats a huge deal. Its not like GSP is some ***** for not jumping right up there. Thats a calculated move with putting on some size.

Comment

i've heard that thiago alvez used to walk around at 220-230 and balloon up to 200 lbs after weighing in for a 170 lb fight

guys that come from a wrestling background have been making weight their entire lives by cutting water weight

i'm convinced we'd see much better chins in mma if guys didn't all follow this trend, and fought closer to their natural weights

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
            i've heard that thiago alvez used to walk around at 220-230 and balloon up to 200 lbs after weighing in for a 170 lb fight

guys that come from a wrestling background have been making weight their entire lives by cutting water weight

i'm convinced we'd see much better chins in mma if guys didn't all follow this trend, and fought closer to their natural weights
            No one is gaining 30 pounds over night.

Welcome back to reality.

Comment

Originally posted by ƒallenloki View Post
              No one is gaining 30 pounds over night.

Welcome back to reality.
              Yeah 30lbs is stretching it(At WW). Alves might have been 200lbs when he came in overweight which he has done on a few occasions.

Anthony Johnson was 195lbs for his last fight and thats a pretty damn impressive cut. Usually the rule of thumb is most guys can cut around 10% of their body weight. Obviously factors like how much muscle a guy has plays with that number but 10% give or take a few is pretty much the upper limit for the majority of guys. Guys like Johnson stretch that number a bit more.

% of the body weight is more important than an actual number because the bigger you are the easier it is to cut weight compared to a smaller guy. A HW cutting 20lbs to make 265lbs is much easier than a WW cutting 20lbs to make 170lbs.

Comment

force them to have a weigh in an hour before the fight. This way fighters will be fighting close to their optimal weight which makes it a bit fairer.

Comment

cause honestly Gsp will have a good chance of losing against Anderson Silva. His jabbing fighting style wont really work on Silva. Silva is to elusive, and can capitalize on Gsp's holes in his standup game.

In my mind if Gsp were to go to 185 he would lose to Anderson Silva. We all know that Gsp does'nt want to lose. So this fight wont happen unless theres a lot of money on the line, possible boxing pay. (A mil or two each)

Comment

Originally posted by monaroCountry View Post
                    force them to have a weigh in an hour before the fight. This way fighters will be fighting close to their optimal weight which makes it a bit fairer.
                    Thats silly. Weigh ins are a mini event in itself for combat sports the day before. That wouldn't work as well and would be more dangerous because the lack of time to rehydrate.

Originally posted by Amrn4s View Post
                    So this fight wont happen unless theres a lot of money on the line, possible boxing pay. (A mil or two each)

Yeah it would have to be a better pay day. GSP is definitely making over a million a fight now with PPV cut($400,000 + PPV buys).

Comment

Working...
                    X