Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boxingscene Movie Reviews Thread

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just watched a great documentary...Mugabe and the White African (2009)

Comment

• Watched Despicable Me 2 with the familia, it had me thru out the movie

another must see if you have little ones around

Comment

• Day of the Dead (1985)
        From what I've read, Romero's third zombie film got mostly negative reviews upon its release, but through time has developed a cult following, with many calling it "underrated." Also, supposedly, the budget for the movie was cut in half when Romero refused to compromise on the gore. Apparently, the producers wanted him to make an R-rated movie instead of the violent unrated version that less theaters would run. But because Romero wanted to do things his way, he was forced to rework his original script. So who knows what might have been with millions of more dollars to work with.

Speaking of gore, the special effects are easily one of the best things about Day of the Dead. The dismemberment scenes are truly disgusting. IMO, the FX hold up really well all these years later. So far as the zombies themselves go, personally, I didn't find them that frightening, but have to give Greg Nicotero props on all the detail given to them. It's like each zombie is distinct, and there's even a motherfucking clown zombie.

I'm not sure if the creators of The Walking Dead have ever cited Day of the Dead as an influence on that show, but there are a few scenes here that reminded me of the AMC series. The main characters are holed up in a military base similar to the prison in TWD (with the zombies coming up to the fence after hearing noise), and a lot of the arguments that happen are also similar to the TV show. (That human beings might be their own worst enemy even in the middle of a zombie apocalpyse are themes in both, too.)

Overall, I didn't find Day of the Dead that scary. It was night, I was alone in the house, and after taking a few small tokes (and locking every damn door and window) I started watching the movie and was into it but not that scared. What held my interest was mainly my fondness for the look and feel of '80s B-movies. There's a level of acting here that is a cross between over-the-top and earnestness that made it entertaining in a fun way. Romero also presents your non typical lead characters (played by unknown talent) like the female protagonist, the Jamaican helicopter pilot with a very very thick accent, and one character who for all purposes is gay, although I think they tried to say he had a girlfriend, but c'mon, man, he's sweet. There's also openly sexist and racist military dudes in this, who are probably just as dangerous as the zombies.

I don't know. At the end of the day, I was entertained enough by the movie to say I liked it, although some might feel like there's way too much talking and not enough action. I'd give it about a 7/10.

Comment

• Grown Ups 2.

1 out of 10, simply horrendous.

There is literally no plot to this movie.

Terrible, unfunny jokes with pathetic setups.

Shamefully lazy.

Easily one of the worst movies i've ever seen, it makes Jack and Jill look like a masterpiece.

The writers should be ****ing embarrassed.

Terrible.

Comment

• Only god forgives... Solid show & a little different...

Comment

• Classic lee majors movie from 1979 "steel"

http://youtu.be/9FzTmm3Gqkk

Comment

• Mud.

10/10

Awesome story, acting and great character dev.

Comment

• saw the wolverine...was ok...was expecting more

Comment

• Recently saw some good actions movies. Finally saw Dredd based on recommendations here in the Lounge. Was pretty solid although visually it looked kinda flat IMO, but was probably better in 3D I suspect.

Running Scared (2006) is also pretty entertaining, but style wise some scenes were really dope and others just felt too computer-y. Nevertheless, both films are violent good times worth seeing. As a bonus, Running Scared has Vera Farmiga in a thong.

Probably the best of the lot was Universal Soldier 4: Day of Reckoning (2012). I remember seeing old newspaper ads with a bunch of raving reviews quoted. Of course, I had my doubts, but was surprised. It has a real graphic novel feel. The movie is pretty brutal and grabs you by the throat from the start. You don't have to see the other movies beforehand. It's a straight up violent action flick so expect some unrealistic fight scenes where people would normally be dead after taking so much punishment. But I thought the movie was cool despite reading reviews from fan boys crying about how crappy the movie was.

SPOILERS: The great Roy Jones Jr. has a quick cameo, but fans might want to close their eyes.

Comment

• I just saw Elysium and it was one of the best mother****ing movies I have seen in a while.

I don't want to give away any spoilers so I'll just end my review with that.

9.4/10

Comment

Working...
                      X