Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Joe louis, Joe frazier, Joe gans, joe walcott.......Joe calzage?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joe louis, Joe frazier, Joe gans, joe walcott.......Joe calzage?

I think Calzaghe deserves to be mentioned with the great Joes of boxing, yeah I'm pretty sure

Joey Maxim as well [I don't care what the fake movie says, he kicked rubin carter's ass and won a fair decision over patterson]

Originally posted by Forza View Post
    I think Calzaghe deserves to be mentioned with the great Joes of boxing, yeah I'm pretty sure

Joey Maxim as well [I don't care what the fake movie says, he kicked rubin carter's ass and won a fair decision over patterson]

It was Joey giardello who beat Carter, if I'm not mistaken.

Comment

Joe bugner?

baby joe messi?

"Joe show up on friday to fight?"
      -nate campbell
      Last edited by New England; 02-06-2012, 08:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
        It was Joey giardello who beat Carter, if I'm not mistaken.
        Nice catch. I guess I get them mixed up because they both got fake names

Giuseppe Antonio Berardinelli

Carmine Orlando Tilelli

Comment

Calzaghe is not on the level of those mentioned above.

Joe Louis fought (and beat) almost everyone of note for a full quarter of a century (every #1 contender bar two, every champion between Sharkey and Marciano)

Joe Frazier gave us two of the best fights of all time and beat plenty of prime, good heavyweights in the best heavyweight era ever on the side.

Gans and Walcott have two of the best resumes of all time, period.

Calzaghe, I believe, had the ability to put himself up there with those fighters, but he didn't take the risks. His ranking should reflect that.

I don't know enough about Giardello to comment on how he compares.

Comment

Originally posted by Capaedia View Post
            Calzaghe is not on the level of those mentioned above.

Joe Louis fought (and beat) almost everyone of note for a full quarter of a century (every #1 contender bar two, every champion between Sharkey and Marciano)

Joe Frazier gave us two of the best fights of all time and beat plenty of prime, good heavyweights in the best heavyweight era ever on the side.

Gans and Walcott have two of the best resumes of all time, period.

Calzaghe, I believe, had the ability to put himself up there with those fighters, but he didn't take the risks. His ranking should reflect that.

I don't know enough about Giardello to comment on how he compares.

Well said.

Comment

Calzaghe simply doesn't belong in that company, Joe Louis and Joe Calzaghe.....It even sounds wrong! Different class of fighter altogether.

Comment

Harsh.... I'd agree JC was a bit of a slow starter and maybe some of his pay day fights weren't up to as much as they might sound in a few years time but Kessler and Lacy fights stick in my mind, maybe skewed by this being the time I really started to get in to boxing.

Has anyone ever heard an interview with Kessler post super six talk about opponents in comparison? Would be interesting to hear how he rates them...

Comment

I love Joe but I doesn't belong in this company

Comment

"which of these is not like the other."

Joe Calzaghe sticks out like a sore thumb in that crowd.

His name should not be talked about alongside those guys you mentioned, and I highly doubt that fans and historians in the future will put him there. Joe Calzaghe is one of the biggest frauds in boxing history but he gets a pass because he was more of a euro fighter and he didn't really even cross over.

He was involved in fights with some of the worst stoppages I had ever seen, his style was slappy and lame, and he never fought a top contender near the top of their game.

In years to come Joe Calzaghe will be forgotten by boxing but he will have slot on a BBC boxing documentary.

Comment

Working...
                    X