Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Will People Say About Floyd Mayweather Jr. 25 Years Now?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by A-Wolf View Post
    I'll have to disagree on basic principle. People will at no point ever say that about Floyd IMHO. Not the establishment anyway. The Fab 4 elevated each other. Floyd has Pacquiao, maybe Martinez, but not Duran and/or Leonard, Hearns, Hagler. On top of which, Floyd leaves many questions as to whether or not he would have faced contemporaries like that had he fought during the same era.. Although I do support enthusiasm for any fighter.
    Floyd and Manny are both around the Top 30 All-Time in my book.

Leonard, who I think is the greatest of the fab 4, is around the Top 10 in my book, maybe just outside it. Benitez, Duran, Hearns, and Hagler. He is truly quality over quantity.

Comment

Originally posted by hatershate
      Quote:

Originally Posted by iseah100

Pacquiao is in the same class as well, right?

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android

Yes he is.

The bigger question is, will we have anyone in the future even touch that class?
      Gotta keep it consistent ans unbiased. Ehh, I don't see it. I hope I'm wrong though.

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android

Comment

Originally posted by A-Wolf View Post
        I'll have to disagree on basic principle. People will at no point ever say that about Floyd IMHO. Not the establishment anyway. The Fab 4 elevated each other. Floyd has Pacquiao, maybe Martinez, but not Duran and/or Leonard, Hearns, Hagler. On top of which, Floyd leaves many questions as to whether or not he would have faced contemporaries like that had he fought during the same era.. Although I do support enthusiasm for any fighter.
        Let's give him time to finish his career. At one point, Leonard refused the Hagler fight. Floyd says he still has 4 fights left in him, let's see who the opponents are.

Comment

Originally posted by hatershate View Post
          Yes he is.

The bigger question is, will we have anyone in the future even touch that class?
          I think Andre Ward is well on his way, and if Nonito Donaire turns out to be everything he can be, and fight the best guys from 122-130/135 (possibly), he could be the Pacquiao of his era.

There's plenty of young fighters who have tons of ability, we just have to wait and see. Adrien Broner, Gary Russell Jr, Jose Benavidez, Thomas Dulorme, Mikey Garcia, all have tons and tons of ability to be great fighters.

But of fighters who are currently in their prime or early prime that could reach that level, Ward and Donaire come to mind.

Comment

Originally posted by hatershate View Post
            Let's give him time to finish his career. At one point, Leonard refused the Hagler fight. Floyd says he still has 4 fights left in him, let's see who the opponents are.
            Seems fair. It has gotten to the point though where Floyd is making even the most neutral observers begin to doubt. Actually, I'm understating. He'll have to fight Martinez to do anything as truly dangerous and risky as Duran, Leonard and Hearns being willing to take on Hagler. Risk factor alone. Big big element to ATGness. There isn't too much I'd be afraid of losing betting Floyd will never face Sergio. Fewer things could be more certain.

Comment

Floyd's best win is a SD against a past it delahoya...

Comment

They'll say, "Boy, Pacquiao and Margaritos fans sure hated Floyd"!

Comment

If he beats Canelo Pac or Martinez he'll be a greater atg than Pac.

Comment

Originally posted by humuklot
                    You don't have to be a Margarito fan to understand that Floyd ducked him. I hate him and even I know Floyd wanted no part of him at the time.
                    Ok Perro, Floyd wanted no parts of Mr Plaster.

Comment

25 years from now, people will refer to floyd as an above average fighter due to the fact that non of his bouts were really that memorable. he just slows down the pace of a fight and turns it into a snooze fest.

top reasons why mayweather will never truly be a p4p great.

1. he has never fought tough opposition, thus being labeled a cherry picker
                      2. he isn't even the top boxer of this era (not until he proves it against pacquiao), what makes him think he's the greatest of all time
                      3. he has not shown the golden qualities of a true champion, which is self control, the ability to deliver a show stopping punch and best of all, respect as a human being.

:bow

Comment

Working...
                      X