No announcement yet.

Hit and dont get hit = Skill, Being a pressure fighter = 1 demensional

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shadeyfizzle View Post
    One need only look at the marquez-vasquez fights to see how stupod that statement is because that was pressure fighting at its finest and involved an incredible amount of skill.
    You mean the one in which Vasquez quit.... Just ****ing with you man...

Comment

Originally posted by goblin213 View Post
      Which is why Roberto Duran is my favorite fighter of all time. An aggressive beast who also happens to be one of the best defensive boxer ever.
      this^^^^^^^^^^

Comment

Originally posted by ghns1133 View Post
        this^^^^^^^^^^
        Wait a min, Balboa was a bad mother ****er too... Just kidding man trying to have fun tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by x3_bazooka_x3 View Post
          How do you guys figure that? those are just two different styles, both are skilled. yes it does take skills to be on your toes have a tight defense and play high speed chess, no doubt.

But there is also another element to the game, example Marvin Hagler, Mike Tyson, those guys, who were able to make it a dog fight and go in there for the killing, willing to take one shot to get of a equally good shot or better.

So how the hell can you guys sit back and claim that fighters with a boxers style in which they hit and dont get hit is skill, yet the other style is Not skills? I mean it takes skills to win a fight, how you win it and what skills you use to win it is just a matter of difference in styles.

But really I want to know why you claim its one demensional?
          Very true, except Marvin Hagler was not a pressure fighter to me (at least not the great majority of the time). He could apply pressure when needed, mainly when he turned into a bull against Hearns, because he had to with Hearns's ability from the outside, and the fact that Tommy was most dangerous when he got distance to get full leverage on his right hand. Normally, Hagler was a boxer-puncher who used lateral movement, good legs, very economical in his movement, solid parrying and head movement.

People tend to see a pressure fighter and think the guy doesn't have skills, or see a guy who moves around a lot and think "he's a skilled boxer".

J.C. Chavez, for instance, had a lot of skill. He was top notch at cutting off the ring, which shows his footwork. He picked his shots well, mixing in combos from body to head. One of the best combo punchers ever. He had an effective defense, good at rolling with punches and slipping them. Chavez could also box on the backfoot too at times, he spent almost all of the Lockridge fight in this manner.

I think people just watch too much highlights of a young Muhammad Ali dancing around the ring, or Sugar Ray Leonard in certain fights when he danced, and think that's what skills are. Not realizing there was a ****load more to Ali and Leonard's game than that.
          Last edited by Thread Stealer; 10-06-2011, 11:21 PM.

Comment

PED USER

I agree...... and speaking of Chavez, Meldrick Taylor was like a ****ing Hybrid slick boxer if he wanted, brawler which is the Philly side of him, I really enjoyed watchin the lil fella...

Comment

A boxing style does not determine whether you'll be slick or not. Slickness stems from natural instincts, it's being gifted with great vision and reflexes.

Are y'all saying then that if Wifebeater was trained under the Cus D' Amato style that he won't be slick ?

Mike Tyson was a slick come forward fighter in his heyday. Of course, when you have to get in the trenches the chances of getting hit gets higher, it's just the nature of the beast.

A good determining factor on what type of style will be best for a particular is the jab. Fighters with terrific jabs end up being the boxer type, if you have no jab and you're short in stature then your options lessen.

Wifebeater is primarily looked at as a boxer. But, guess what, if he were to face a fighter who would have a significant height and reach advantage and had a great jab and moves well, Wifebeater would have no choice but to come forward.
              Last edited by Monte Fisto; 10-06-2011, 11:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Monte Fisto View Post
                A boxing style does not determine whether you'll be slick or not. Slickness stems from natural instincts, it's being gifted with great vision and reflexes.

Are y'all saying then that if Wifebeater was trained under the Cus D' Amato style that he won't be slick ?

Mike Tyson was a slick come forward fighter in his heyday. Of course, when you have to get in the trenches the chances of getting hit gets higher, it's just the nature of the beast.

A good determining factor on what type of style will be best for a particular is the jab. Fighters with terrific jabs end up being the boxer type, if you have no jab and you're short in stature then your options lessen.
                You are right and I threw tyson out there in the early going he was a slick raw brutal bastard in his day.
                could you imagin Mayweather with Cus? **** I mean you dont have to have big power Cus could take those skills and make him an animal.. he has the ability to make you miss and make you pay, and Cus would optimise that talent and Floyd would likely get more knock outs.

Fernando Vargas pre Tito, was a bit on the slick side and a good boxer puncher, but he knew how to evade shots very well he had this corky ****ing headmovement sometimes and it just seemed to work

Comment

who said pressure fighters are one dimensional?
                  the dumbasses on that "watch MMA if you don't like boring guys" thing?
                  you can box going forward and show skill doing it
                  a guy like Winky stays in a shell and works off the jab, boxer
                  but he's a sick pressure fighter, walks you down, makes you fight
                  too many idiots trying to critique things they don't know about

Comment

theres loads of pressure fighters in history who is considered extremely skillful.

You're generalizing too much.

Comment

Originally posted by Harry Balls View Post
                      theres loads of pressure fighters in history who is considered extremely skillful.

You're generalizing too much.
                      I dont think so, I rather think that some of the new people to the sport really dont understand this aspect of the game. I aint taking a cheap shot at them I am just pointing out, that alot of them tend to think if you get hit if your a pressure fighter you are one demensional and thats not true.

one demnsional basicly means what it say, you only know one way to get the job done. But when you look at alot of these guys like we discussed, they had multiple ways of getting inside making it their fight and getting the job done.

I think all to often people assume if your a pressure fighter your easily beatable if a fighter just stays on the out side and sits behind that jab.
                      That is un true

Comment

Working...
                      X