Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who do you guys would win if Cotto-Martinez met at 154?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How often do you ever see anyone land a body shot on Martinez? Chavez could barely do it and that's his specialty.

Comment

Originally posted by DoktorSleepless View Post
      How often do you ever see anyone land a body shot on Martinez? Chavez could barely do it and that's his specialty.
      Chavez has terrible ring genralship, terrible agility and footwork, and also he telegraphs his punches and doesnt lead with the jab.

Comparing Cotto to Chavez should be considered an insult. He is WORLDS better than Junior will ever be.

Comment

Originally posted by Cigarillo View Post
        Mayorga, Foreman and I guess you could say Tony at 154.

At 147 he knocked out Q, Urkal, Jennings, Gomez, Judah and I know I forgetting someone.
        So no one really then?

It matters cos he isn't really that big a puncher, even at 147. He wouldn't land consistently enough on Martinez to "take him out". He's too slow and flatfooted. Plus hes smaller and past his prime.

Comment

Originally posted by Light_Speed View Post
          Look at Cotto's face after the Pac fight. Imagine what those straight lefts from Sergio would do to him...
          Sergio doesnt fight anything like Pac though. Hes not as fast. Not as dynamic and not unpredictable like Pac is.

I think Cotto is a better boxer than Martinez and Martinez will respect his power and try to dance and run and Cotto is the BEST in the sport at cutting that ring off.

Comment

Burner, you think Cotto hits harder than 185lb JCC Jr.? Because Martinez didn't respect his power to much.

Comment

Originally posted by Cigarillo View Post
              Chavez has terrible ring genralship, terrible agility and footwork, and also he telegraphs his punches and doesnt lead with the jab.

Comparing Cotto to Chavez should be considered an insult. He is WORLDS better than Junior will ever be.
              Cotto's my dude, but he's another guy who some what telegraph's his punches based on his movement. You don't see necessarily what punches are coming, but he tends to bounce then once he sets, then throws punches. But even that being said, Cotto's never been the best in the defense dept and Sergio being quick for a 154/160 guy with good movement and power, Cotto's seen this once before but now it's at a higher weight against a stronger fighter. I also don't think Cotto would cut the ring off as well as he usually does (saw glimpses in the Mayweather fight). Martinez isn't perfect and isn't what you'd call a quintessential "boxer", but more importantly he's "effective" and clearly causes damage. If Cotto can't hurt Sergio, he's in trouble.

Comment

I know I didn't get asked, but no I don't think Cotto punches would be as damaging as JCC Jr.s all things being equal, but I do think Sergio's punch resistance would drop going to 154 and it will only take a slight decline for his whole style to get broke.

Which is why I think he would get beat by almost anyone good at 154, I don't think he can drop with 0 decline, and guys like him at his age decline naturally so with any help his style could totally fall apart.

Plus he just got a huge win that he was looking for, it would be a natural human reaction to exhale thinking the job is "done" and the next job will just be the same but that is not how it works in boxing.
                Last edited by The Gambler1981; 09-24-2012, 01:46 PM.

Comment

If Martinez is fine at the weight then he beats Cotto.

Comment

Sergio called him out and Cotto refused. No way cotto lands a good body shot on sergio when sergio is constantly dancing around. Sergio stops him 4-5 rounds

and why would people even question if sergio can make the weight? for crying out loud look at the size differences between these guys. sergio is no middleweight

Sergio vs Chavez

Sergio vs Macklin

Sergio vs Barker

Sergio's fight night weight against barker was a miniscule 165. 12 lbs away from the junior middleweight limit. and im sure sergio is able to switch his diet up a little bit and sweat out the lbs like nothing. And we have to remember the only reason Sergio went to 160 because everyone at 154 wouldn't fight him and the only fights he could get were at middleweight
                    Last edited by Ring Leader; 09-24-2012, 01:58 PM.

Comment

Martinez destroys him.

Comment

Working...
                      X