No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Insider Notebook: Ortiz Eyes Legacy, Antillon Eyes War

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Insider Notebook: Ortiz Eyes Legacy, Antillon Eyes War

by Robert Morales - It was about noon Wednesday in Los Angeles, and Victor Ortiz was some eight hours away from his second news conference in two days promoting his Sept. 17 welterweight title defense against Floyd Mayweather Jr. at MGM Grand in Las Vegas (on HBO pay-per-view).

Speaking by telephone, Ortiz was very direct when asked what he thinks about the way his career has gone since he was lambasted by reporters after he was stopped by Marcos Maidana in the sixth round in June 2009 at Staples Center. There were more than a few reporters who thought Ortiz quit, and they didn't let him forget with story after story regarding his alleged lack of courage.

Of course, he showed he had plenty when he took Andre Berto's welterweight title in April in a grueling bout.

"I really don't care about what anyone has to say about me," said Ortiz, 24, of Ventura. "The media destroyed me, so therefore they gave me no love for anything. You guys took my heart from me and ripped it out. At the end of the day, I still have heart. I know what I'm here for. I know what I'm going to do to Mayweather, period." [Click Here To Read More]

This should be a great fight. I hope Antillon can pull this off by way of ko.

Comment

That was a great description of how the typical Mexican fighter likes to get down. It's always about proving who has more balls, LOL.

This makes for exciting fights for the fans but it's not always the smartest thing, health-wise, for the boxers.
      Last edited by ShoulderRoll; 06-30-2011, 01:08 AM.

Comment

Article Link - http://www.boxingscene.com/insider-n...#ixzz1Qjfyum7z
        This is a legal waiver. By copying and using the material from this article, you agree to give full credit to BoxingScene.com or provide a link to the original article.

“Because of our culture, the way we were brought up as fighters, we want to bang, stay in the middle and see who has the bigger balls,” said Sanchez, who grew up in the Los Angeles County suburb of West Covina. “That is not always the best for your health, for your career. There are so many things that can happen because the other fighter wants to win, too.
        He is right...Mexicans and most Hispanics have guts and machismo, imagine if we had a black man´s frame. Afro-blacks run and hug, no excitment.

Comment

Mix Julio Cesar Chavez with Meldrick Taylor and you would have an unbeatable fighter.

Comment

I respect Ortiz

I respect Ortiz a great deal and I wish him all the best. Having said that victor Ortiz is a good fighter but he's not a great fighter and Mayweather is. Now that's not to say with a little luck there can't be an upset, and it would be luck. Mayweather has a high I Q in the ring and will be victorious.

Comment

Originally posted by Lamonte View Post
              I respect Ortiz a great deal and I wish him all the best. Having said that victor Ortiz is a good fighter but he's not a great fighter and Mayweather is. Now that's not to say with a little luck there can't be an upset, and it would be luck. Mayweather has a high I Q in the ring and will be victorious.
              Wrong thread buddy, but good point anyways.

Comment

This fight has barn-burner written all over it, especially if those guys bring some beef to the ring.

Comment

Man I can't wait for this fight. The second half of the year is gonna be beastly. Look for Antillon to pull off the upset.

Comment

I still have a problem with Ortiz quitting against maidana and getting floored by the soft hitting berto. guys who basically quit are not great champions. Ortiz QUIT.

Comment

Working...
                    X