No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: War Arakawa: Five Great Japanese Imports for the West

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: War Arakawa: Five Great Japanese Imports for the West

by Cliff Rold - One week later and it’s still the fight worth talking about.

Sandwiched between Keith Thurman’s coming of age win over Diego Chaves, and Jesus Soto Karass’s long in coming validation against Andre Berto, San Antonio native Omar Figueroa took a step towards hometown folk hero status in a Lightweight classic.

He didn’t do it alone.

One of the great thrills for any boxing observer is the moment of discovery. Nihito Arakawa has been a professional since 2004 but, in 27 previous fights, only one had been outside Japan. There were hardcore fight fans in the US who knew him but for most of the crowd last Saturday, for most of the televised audience, it was a debut.

It was a discovery.

The moments when Arakawa came off the deck in rounds two and six, rallying to stave off a knockout loss, were downright revelatory. Arakawa didn’t win, but he left new eyes outside his native Japan wanting more.

There are more discoveries to be had. [Click Here To Read More]

Japan is NO joke, they are bringing their A-game to the big leagues like they always have.

I wonder what they will accomplish with the recognition of the WBO and IBF.. Dozens of champs for sure.

Comment

Omar Figueroa isn't from San Anto.

Comment

Originally posted by TheMexHurricane View Post
        Omar Figueroa isn't from San Anto.
        Caught that...being fixed.

Comment

One thing about Japanese fighters is that I wish they would travel more to prove their worth.

But by the same token there's a lot of guys that I'd like to see go to Japan to go after some of those belt holders.

Comment

Few fights for Uchiyama too be made at 130 but for Yamanaka there ain't many outside off Moreno who does travel but a rematch with Miura looks the most likely

Comment

All solid fighters. Yaegashi is a proper warrior.

Comment

For many years Japanese fighters weren’t willing to fight abroad.
                They were paid well in Japan, and it used to seem impossible for them to get a big fight in the US, but Nishioka showed a Japanese fighter can get it if he receives recognition by travelling and beating well-known fighters who never come to Japan.
                Nishioka’s case and the situation that one cannot be the best without beating top guys will encourage Japanese champions to go abroad.

Now some Japanese champions say they really want to fight in the US. Sadly, as pointed out above, there are not so many opponents for Yamanaka and Uchiyama now, but as a boxing fan in Japan, I hope Japanese fighters travel more in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by bogoindian View Post
                  They were paid well in Japan, and it used to seem impossible for them to get a big fight in the US, but Nishioka showed a Japanese fighter can get it if he receives recognition by travelling and beating well-known fighters who never come to Japan.
                  Nishioka’s case and the situation that one cannot be the best without beating top guys will encourage Japanese champions to go abroad.

Now some Japanese champions say they really want to fight in the US. Sadly, as pointed out above, there are not so many opponents for Yamanaka and Uchiyama now, but as a boxing fan in Japan, I hope Japanese fighters travel more in the future.
                  Teiken promotions are the only ones it seems willing too bring some fighters abroad Nishioka as you mentioned and Yamegai also they are still co promoting Linares so maybe they will bring Yamanaka if interest from the US comes for a fight between Yamanaka and Moreno.Anyway Yama still has too do the business Monday week

Comment

Originally posted by bogoindian View Post

I agree with a lot of your points but the Japanese guys listed have already beaten some of the top names in their divisions yet don't get the recognition they deserve, which is sad because lesser fighters from American or Mexican backgrounds are fighting regularly on US TV and getting undue praise. Uchiyama is clearly one of the best lower weight fighters out there and hits as hard as hell. I really want to see him get the recognition he deserves before he retires.

Comment

Working...
                    X