No announcement yet.

Arum Targets Donaire-Rigondeaux Clash For The Beginning of 2013

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HBGBoxingFan View Post
    The fight thing that popped into my head, when I read the headline of Arum targeting a fight the fans want to see now for a later date, was how the fans were led to believe Gamboa-Lopez was going to happen soon. The fight is never going to happen. More BS from Arum.
    I tend to agree with you. I'd take Arum's words with a grain of salt. But never say "never." Sometimes I wonder if Bob doesn't actually believe what he's saying, but developments we're unaware of make him change his mind or put things off.

Comment

Thanks, bro. Here's the poll, as reported by RingTV, for anyone else interested:

Fans who took part in a recent RingTV.com poll asking who Nonito Donaire should fight next want to see the WBO/IBF junior featherweight titleholder take on undefeated WBA 122-pound beltholder Guillermo Rigondeaux.

Rigondeaux (10-0, 8 knockouts), a two-time Olympic gold medalist from Cuba who won and defended his title with two sensational knockouts this year, edged out newly crowned WBC titleholder Abner Mares with 37.5 percent of the more than 8,000 votes.

Mares (24-0-1, 13 KOs), a 26-year-old former bantamweight beltholder who won his 122-pound title with a unanimous decision over Eric Morel in April, received 30.1 percent of the votes.

Toshiaki Nishioka, a respected former titleholder from Japan, drew 17.6 percent of the vote; and popular four-division beltholder Jorge Arce garnered 12.1 percent. Sublimely skilled WBA bantamweight titleholder Anselmo Moreno received the least amount of votes with only 2.6 percent.

Comment

Originally posted by CubanGuyNYC View Post
        37% of 8000 votes...I'm curious to see the complete breakdown of that poll. Anyway, it dispels claims that no one knows who Rigo is and shows the regard fight fans have for him.

Like many people here, I would love to believe Arum; but we'll have to wait and see....
        Ron Paul also wins all the internet polls. Doesn't mean it reflects reality.

The more telling poll is the ESPN Deportes poll with Hispanics who are more likely to attend a show.

Anyway, I don't get the Gamoa-Lopez comparisons. There was already a ton of hype for that fight and lots of people wanted to see. Marinating wasn't needed. On the hand, I don't think Donaire-Rigo is big enough for HBO to satisfy both their financial demands yet. Rigo needs a few more showcase in the US while actually looking good before I think HBO would put enough money for both fighter to get a decent payday.
        Last edited by DoktorSleepless; 07-24-2012, 05:37 PM.

Comment

I actually wouldnt be shocked from the simple standpoint that I think Arum maybe feeling like alot of others in that Donaire's star may not be as bright to him anymore as it once was. I think he use to see Donaire as the next king of boxing and someone he could turn into a big PPV star.

Now I think Arum probably feels that he either wont reach that level or he's not special enough to be a star but he's good enough to where he could lose & still be a big name while Rigo has a chance to come up with a win which would help Arum all around

Comment

Originally posted by DoktorSleepless View Post

The more telling poll is the ESPN Deportes poll with Hispanics who are more likely to attend a show.

Anyway, I don't get the Gamoa-Lopez comparisons. There was already a ton of hype for that fight and lots of people wanted to see. Marinating wasn't needed. On the hand, I don't think Donaire-Rigo is big enough for HBO to satisfy both their financial demands yet. Rigo needs a few more showcase in the US while actually looking good before I think HBO would put enough money for both fighter to get a decent payday.
            My guess is that ESPN Deportes is heavily frequented by Mexicans, which would make sense since they are by far the largest hispanic group in the U.S. The poll results would seem to reflect a bias towards Mexican fighters, since Rigo is last among the four boxers mentioned (the rest being Mexican). And, really, 42% want to see Donaire fight an over-the-hill Arce? Sounds like a fanboy poll to me.

Comment

Originally posted by DLT View Post
              I actually wouldnt be shocked from the simple standpoint that I think Arum maybe feeling like alot of others in that Donaire's star may not be as bright to him anymore as it once was. I think he use to see Donaire as the next king of boxing and someone he could turn into a big PPV star.

Now I think Arum probably feels that he either wont reach that level or he's not special enough to be a star but he's good enough to where he could lose & still be a big name while Rigo has a chance to come up with a win which would help Arum all around
              I don't think this is out of the realm of possibility.

Comment

Originally posted by Garcia's Dad View Post
                What was it Schaeffer called Bob?

The Chief Marinator?
                Lol for real? Missed that one.
                Originally posted by DoktorSleepless View Post

Look at the top votes. All Mexicans plus it's a bias poll. They put 3 Mexicans 1 Cuban and "Other." Mijares over Rigondeaux? That's a joke. That means it's all Mexicans who watch that JMM show on ESPN and voted.

Anyway, Donaire wants to move up to 126. Now think back, a while back Arum claimed he was gonna make the fight with Nishioka when he came back from his lay off. Nishioka is back and there's no signs of this fight happening. Do you really believe Arum when he says this fight (vs Rigo) is gonna happen? Probably not.

Will be funny if Rigondeaux extended with Top Rank and there was a clause to fight Donaire but it doesn't say it has to be at 122 necessarily. Then Donaire moves up and that would force Rigo to move up to fight him. But Rigo is small for 126.

Comment

Just like Juanma vs Gamboa.....he think's he can still keep serving us his BS.

Comment

Originally posted by jsfd26 View Post

Look at the top votes. All Mexicans plus it's a bias poll. They put 3 Mexicans 1 Cuban and "Other." Mijares over Rigondeaux? That's a joke. That means it's all Mexicans who watch that JMM show on ESPN and voted.

Anyway, Donaire wants to move up to 126. Now think back, a while back Arum claimed he was gonna make the fight with Nishioka when he came back from his lay off. Nishioka is back and there's no signs of this fight happening. Do you really believe Arum when he says this fight (vs Rigo) is gonna happen? Probably not.
                    I'm not saying the average boxing fan wants to see Donaire fight Rigo more than anyone else. Like all polls, the RingTV offering is limited. But the ESPN Deportes poll is quite obviously biased. Nishioka isn't even mentioned? lol

Will be funny if Rigondeaux extended with Top Rank and there was a clause to fight Donaire but it doesn't say it has to be at 122 necessarily. Then Donaire moves up and that would force Rigo to move up to fight him. But Rigo is small for 126.
                    Now that would be EVIL....

Comment

Originally posted by CubanGuyNYC View Post
                      My guess is that ESPN Deportes is heavily frequented by Mexicans, which would make sense since they are by far the largest hispanic group in the U.S. The poll results would seem to reflect a bias towards Mexican fighters, since Rigo is last among the four boxers mentioned (the rest being Mexican). And, really, 42% want to see Donaire fight an over-the-hill Arce? Sounds like a fanboy poll to me.

Whether you like it or not, Mexicans are a much more important and bigger demographic than the hardcore fan that visit the ring website. That the poll is biased towards Mexicans is exactly why it's more relevant than the ring poll. What hardcore fans want isn't what brings the money and the viewers. What the Mexicans want on the other hand, is exactly what brings the money and the viewers.
                      Last edited by DoktorSleepless; 07-24-2012, 06:05 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X