No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Roy Jones Jr: “I’ve Had a Wonderful Career”

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Roy Jones Jr: “I’ve Had a Wonderful Career”

By Lyle Fitzsimmons - LAS VEGAS – Roy Jones Jr. sounded early Sunday like a man who’d finally made a decision to change jobs. Which is convenient, because for most of the 12 rounds that had begun late Saturday it looked like a choice he should have made at least one uninspired fight sooner.

Pensacola’s four-division world champion – and arguably the finest fighter Florida has ever produced –continued a late-stage tailspin before 6,792 largely frustrated fans at Mandalay Bay, dropping an intermittently interesting decision to nemesis Bernard Hopkins in a light heavyweight bout.

“I’m going to go home and talk to the team, and if they decide to call it a day we’ll call it a day,” the 41-year-old Jones said. “But it’s not my decision. I’ll talk to my coaches.”

The loss, which came by lopsided 117-110 (twice) and 118-109 scores, was the Washington High product’s sixth in 11 fights since he opened a brilliant career with 49 wins in 50 fights after first achieving fame with a silver medal at the 1988 Summer Olympics in Seoul, South Korea. [Click Here To Read More]

It is your decision Roy.

Finish up please, before you get seriously hurt. You have had a great career.

Comment

Yes u have Roy , Future HOF , now retire for ur own health

Comment

its time to hang'em up roy.hopkins is slow and you still could'nt pull the trigger regardless of the dirty shots both of ya were throwing.i saw opening that the old roy would've thrown a punch or 12.its over mentally and physically.you have money,family,and good health. retire hall of famer.

Comment

He had a great career, loved his flashy style.

Comment

Thank you for making me a fan of this sport.

It' about that time, but it's been a pleasure.

Comment

I don't think roy should go out on a loss. He should have 1 more winable fairwell fight in pensacola. I dont' want to see Roy going out on a loss to hopkins.

Comment

He could have said that after he won the heavyweight championship and I for one would have believed him and gave him credit for it. He helped transcend casual fans to hardcore fans that flock the forums and subscribe to Ring Magazine. You an ATG Roy, enjoy the rest of life.

P.S. You made alot of sense when you would be a commentator on HBO, hope you come back for that.

Comment

A change is the best thing. He had a great career but it is time to call it a day.

Comment

What fighters have to understand is that how you end your career is far more important than how you start it. Going out on a loss like De La Hoya and Roy Jones is the wrong way to end a career. Going out the way Joe Calzhage did is the RIGHT WAY. The only fight Roy has looked good in recently is against a washed up Jeff lacy. I think B-Hop should fight one more fight against a lesser opponent, knock him out and leave the sport on a high note. What you do last is what people remember you for the most.

Comment

Working...
                    X