Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Explain why Sergio Martinez vs Andre Ward at 160 doesnt make sense?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ny123 View Post
    Martinez is a small mw who can make 154 and he never fought at 168. Ward cant make 160. End thread.
    Serg has been at 160 for 4 years now and hes 39. If he could make 154 why not campaign there? Its a much deeper division now than it was 4 years ago. 4 years ago 154 was **** and I get the move up then. Doesnt make sense to stay there now. I personally dont think Serg can get back down. Sucking weight and coming off a knee surgery, hes the perfect fighter Canelos camp would be looking to fight. But he never even tried to put his name in the hat. He instead had a venue and opponent lined up before he even went under the knife. Like I said before I dont think he can get down anymore. Hes not really that undersized MW anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post
      Andre Ward can't make 160.
      What he said......

Comment

Ward would kill Martinez, too big and too good. Plus Ward can't make 160.

Comment

I would like to see that fight but Ward plans to move up to 175. That is a really good fight I like both fighters the same.

Comment

Ward has already said he can't make 160 and will be a LHW fairly soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Pan-Africanist View Post
              Serg has been at 160 for 4 years now and hes 39. If he could make 154 why not campaign there? Its a much deeper division now than it was 4 years ago. 4 years ago 154 was **** and I get the move up then. Doesnt make sense to stay there now. I personally dont think Serg can get back down. Sucking weight and coming off a knee surgery, hes the perfect fighter Canelos camp would be looking to fight. But he never even tried to put his name in the hat. He instead had a venue and opponent lined up before he even went under the knife. Like I said before I dont think he can get down anymore. Hes not really that undersized MW anymore.
              It makes sense why Martinez would want to fight in Argentina as it is, but I believe the government has pushed for it too. He also did talk about fighting Canelo after the Chavez fight. Canelo weighs the same as Martinez on fight night, so I don't necessarily agree with Martinez going all the way down to 154 for him either especially given he is the much older man.

I don't see how 154 is necessarily any deeper than 160 at the moment. A lot needs to be resolved in both divisions in terms of the top contenders as many of them have not fought each other or the results have been inconclusive most of the time.

It would probably be somewhat difficult for Sergio to move down, but he would probably only do so for a big money fight and that is only Canelo and Floyd at the moment. Why go through the trouble when the money isn't any bigger if you aren't fighting those two? It looks like they are being set up for a September clash, so he likely won't be able to get either of them until early-mid 2014.

Comment

Because Ward won't go down to 160. Ward doesn't like giving up any type of advantage. I thought this was common knowledge.

Comment

Originally posted by Pan-Africanist View Post
                  U really think Canelo would fight Martinez at 154? Im sure if Martinez thought that fight was realistic he would drop down to 154 and accept it in a second. I don't know why u think Martinez avoided Canelo fight? Thats ridiculous.

Comment

Originally posted by ny123 View Post
                    Martinez is a small mw who can make 154 and he never fought at 168. Ward cant make 160. End thread.
                    We have no proof that Ward can't make 160 lbs....he's never said he couldn't. Ward use to fight at 160 lbs...find me a quote from Ward where he said he can't make 160 lbs.

Comment

No way in hell Ward is moving down to 168...I catch weight might be possible but it is no fukin way in hell Ward is going to draw himself to 160

"WELL DAWSON CAME DOWN FOR WARD" yeah it was Dawson that issued the challenge then said that he could make 168 and I don't hold it against Dawson for trying, he is still the best fighter at 175 even after losing to Ward at 168 but I never thought it was smart move and Ward moving down to 160 at this point in his career is not worth it!

Comment

Working...
                      X