Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is fighting two times a year good for a 22 year old boxer?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fighters in general do better if they stay busy. It means they are in the gym staying out of trouble and equally important, staying sharp.

Comment

GBP are going to ruin Canelo if they haven't done it already. They have not got him real challenges and the WBC alongside HBO have paved the way that everything has come easy to him.

They have made him into an attraction instead of making him a complete fighter. Lets see when he gets a live contender in front of him that doesn't fold when he hits him and is active during the whole fight. He might melt down mentally

Comment

it depends on the money he's making, and whether or not he's prepared.

fernando vargas was a finished product at 21, for example.

usually i would say it's far too few fights.

Comment

If you are winning your fights easily and not taking a helluva lot of punishment then there's no reason not to fight more than twice a year. Canelo has built a good fan base because of his activity; he's always in the public eye and he's keeping his fans interested. Kinda disappointed that we'll only see him in action twice next year.
          Last edited by BostonGuy; 10-30-2012, 08:57 AM.

Comment

For a World Champ it seems to be about the norm, title is misleading.

But as a few others have stated the busier you are the better and when you are young you can do it so should really be doing it...got a feeling he's peaked too soon and may not be around for many more years to come.

Comment

Originally posted by BostonGuy View Post
              If you are winning your fights easily and not taking a helluva lot of punishment then there's no reason not to fight more than twice a year. Canelo has built a good fan base because of his activity; he's always in the public eye and he's keeping his fans interested. Kinda disappointed that we'll only see him in action twice next year.
              Yeah he could make quick work of k9 and grab a belt and get the feel of a real junior middleweight. Would be good for his development before a Martinez or Lara fight.

Comment

Now that he has a title it would be risky business to fight more than he really needs to. I personally would love to see him fight 5-6 times a year but it ain't happening.

Comment

It's a must.

What people don't realise is that despite his age he's still been a professional for 7 years and has had at least 42 fights. His style hardly favours a long career in the sport either.

Don't be surprised if he's irrelevant at the top of his division by the time he's 28.

Comment

Generally speaking it is better for young guys to be fighting so they are staying in the gym developing good habits that will follow them for the rest of their career. Plus young guys are prone to doing stupid things and thinking they are bullet proof, the more they fight the more it keeps them away from doing stuff that could harm their career.

Canelo is an interesting case to me he is a finished product I can't see him improving all that much, and you could make a case for the guy taking a little break to recuperate dude has what 42 fights at 22? There is something to be said for rest even at a young age as long as he stays in the gym and doesn't do stupid stuff it shouldn't be an issue but who knows what he will do~ idle hands are the devil's playground.

Comment

Originally posted by D-MiZe View Post
                      It's a must.

What people don't realise is that despite his age he's still been a professional for 7 years and has had at least 42 fights. His style hardly favours a long career in the sport either.

Don't be surprised if he's irrelevant at the top of his division by the time he's 28.
                      Arguably he's made easy work of his last 1/2 dozen opponents or so i.e. he's not taking a lot of career shorting punishment, like Rios is per say.

I'd say 3-4 times per year is the optimal range. He stays busy, in shape and sharp and keeps the fans attention.

Comment

Working...
                      X