Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where does Pernell Whitaker rank on your ATG list?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Number 8 on my ATG list.

Comment

Originally posted by wmute View Post
      Sorry I don't get you. What you just wrote implies there are 10 better fighters than Pea fighting between 1962-1982. Are you sure?
      Sorry, mathematical error on my part.

Yes, he's top 10 in the last 50 years. Of the names TrojanBrand listed
      (Ali Jones Monzon Leonard Duran Foreman Chavez Hopkins Barrera Paquiao Holyfield McCallum Sanchez Pacquiao Hearns Napoles Spinks)
      , I only rank Ali, Monzon, and Duran above Pea.

Comment

Originally posted by SBleeder View Post
        Sorry, mathematical error on my part.

Yes, he's top 10 in the last 50 years. Of the names TrojanBrand listed , I only rank Ali, Monzon, and Duran above Pea.
        gotcha. I was surprised that we were giving such distant evaluations, as we seem to agree more often than not.

Comment

Top Ten Lightweight and could fight in any era! Terrific inside and out and put punches together as well as anyone. Was particularly good at diagnosing his opponent very quickly and would end a fight as soon as he felt he could!
          Would have made great fights with Duran or Benny Leonard the only man I think would have been a little to much for him could be Ike but Ike was an extreme fighter, not many like him. I watched Pea come up in the JO & open amatuers, it was apparent he was on his way to become a terrific boxer. Ray.

Comment

I remember talks of a possible fight with Camacho early in his career? How do you guys think that would have gone? I see Whitaker winning a unanimous decision in that one.

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
              I remember talks of a possible fight with Camacho early in his career? How do you guys think that would have gone? I see Whitaker winning a unanimous decision in that one.
              PBF the safe bet I agree. but... how early are we talkinag about?

Comment

Originally posted by Sweet Pea 50 View Post
                Or does he?

I don't post in this section much, I just lurk and learn.

I'm just curious on how the History heads on here rank him.
                I really have no idea where to rank him, but there are many names I put in from of him and a lot of lightweights too, I saw him rated at 4 in an earlier post, but seeing as though the LW division is maybe the all time strongest division, that poster has him in or near the Top 20............ I can't put him in that league because I believe that by the time his era began boxing has been in decline for at least two decades, probably 3 and there simply wasnt the depth, he proved himself great in his own time but he never met a Benny Leonard or a Gans or a Nelson or and IKE or a Canzoneri..... A dream matchup at lightweight would be Whittaker Vs Carlos Ortiz............ who wins that fight ????

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
                  I think Pea would have out machoed Camacho, ouboxed him, even make a complete fool of him.... I dont even see Camacho as belonging to the Whittaker class tbh. Hector never impressed me as a fighter I see him losing to any true ATG

Comment

Originally posted by Sweet Pea 50 View Post
                    I've always wondered what Pea would have been like if he had drop you dead punching power.
                    He would have been a smarter, faster version of Lew Jenkins

Comment

Originally posted by Capaedia View Post
                      He'd still be #1 P4P
                      Do you actually think that Whittaker is the greatest fighter of ALL TIME ?????... maybe a need to elaborate on that for me.

Comment

Working...
                      X