Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boxing talent period has decreased all across the board. Not just the Heavyweights.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They dont dominate good competition.

Wlad maybe has a case. But how can you look at Vitali's last fight and say hes one of the best in the world.

Comment

If you think Boxing lacks talent than that means you dont watch the Bantamweights.

Moreno
      Hasegawa
      Mares
      Perez
      Donaire
      Montiel
      Agbeko
      Darch

???????? If thats not some of the sickest talent around I dont know what is.

Comment

Originally posted by No Ceilings View Post
        If you think Boxing lacks talent than that means you dont watch the Bantamweights.

Moreno
        Hasegawa
        Mares
        Perez
        Donaire
        Montiel
        Agbeko
        Darch

You're just giving one division as an example though. Although I will concede those guys are good fighters. I brought up Mares and Perez earlier in this thread as fighters who I'm high on. Montiel is good too. But he's getting long in the tooth.

Comment

Originally posted by No Ceilings View Post

Moreno
          Hasegawa
          Mares
          Perez
          Donaire
          Montiel
          Agbeko
          Darch

Bantamweights? What do they weigh, 90 pounds? You can't have skill if you're 90 pounds!

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Iceta Lives View Post
              If guys like Lara, Rigo, Ricardo Lopez's son, Benavidez end up making it big it wouldn't suprise me. So I'm not totally selling the newer generation short. But I'm just saying that the current crop of fighters that the boxing game is trying to pump up as stars just don't impress me and they definitely don't dominate like the Klitchkos do. The only fighters that really honestly impress me is Mares and Perez to be honest. Donaire and Lopez keep fighting bums and won't step up their comp. Same way with Gamboa even though I will admit I like his style.

Sure the Klitchkos fight in a piss poor division but they end fights with highlight KOs against fighters with all type of different fighting styles.
              Do not get me wrong the Klits are very good Hws and both deserve spots on the p4p list for there sure domination,i understand your point about the future stars of the sport there is not an ace in the hole like a young dlh was but there are a lot of a fighters none the less.

Comment

i think that there are to many distractions in the world today.
                to be the best at you need focus stripped down processed food,
                and 5000 channels on tv. text messages & computers didnt help.
                but there are a few who still have the focus.

Comment

Originally posted by QUELOQUE View Post
                  No it hasn't, but I do somewhat agree.

Mayweather and Pacquiao wouldn't have been campaigning at 147 if it welterweight had the Napoles', Leonard's, Hearns', Curry's, etc. of years past.

Skill has decreased, talent is still there.

right the talent is there, but

Skill= brain power, smart in the ring, boxing is a thinking man's game- these days i don't see a lot of that

Comment

Of course the talent is there. The talent will always be there.

What's not there are the gyms on every second corner, trainers that are as good as and much better than Roach is gyms all over the place. Not only or two or three good trainers but all over the world with decades of experience.

The amount of registered pro's and gyms has declined so, so much in the last forty years that it's hard to find a gym in every city now, let alone in every area of every city.

There used to be big cards on in every single city every single week, with the best fighters all fighting each other from that city to get a shot at the others and then later at the big time, and the numbers of those fighters were staggering in comparison to today. Those cards would get shown on TV, so you had your chance to shine right there in front of you but you had to beat a ****load of highly talented, well trained fighters that were also looking to break into the big time. Incredibly competitive.

It comes down to simply numbers, gyms and trainers that seriously know their ****. Imagine a Freddie Roach in every city. That's what it used to be like with his gym as the norm. That's why there were so many brilliant fighters who knew every single little trick in the book, could fight inside, outside, backward, sideways, could box, could brawl, could run, could ****ing fly. It's sad, but there just isn't the numbers of fighters and trainers and gyms anymore. It goes to reason that the resulting sport is a watered down, less skilled affair.
                    Last edited by BennyST; 09-12-2010, 12:17 AM.

Comment

If Mayweather would have fought the best, and Margo wouldn't have pulled off that plaster ****, we would have had one of the best welterweight "classes" around 2008. Instead we got could have/should have/did he cheat.

Comment

Working...
                      X