any skateboaders in here?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by F l i c k e r View Post
    i'm the same as you cardinal.

i've had set ups with hkd's, lucky, i've ridden swiss bones. i've had spitfire, basic shop brand wheels, element wheels.

i can only go by my experience. all that shyt matters. go buy some broke ass wheels and get bite. that shyt will go flat on you. not even a wheel anymore with a flat spot.

trucks matter because of the weight. their all chunks of metal but i personally hated heavy trucks. thunder i usually stuck to and they always did me clean.

boards are tricky because some people believe in popular brands. i say screw that. baker is probably the shytiest boards. great team shyt boards.

i loved foundation. i still get a hard-on for this black tea cup foundation board. zoo york is great too. they last forever. i tried to break one 7x and it wouldn't break. so i never got mad skating after that.
    Spitfires used to piss me off because they'd turn yellow after a few days. No hard wheels ever really gave me big problems with flat spots.

Comment

Originally posted by Kenny MF Powers View Post
      Currently riding a Girl deck (love em, Chocolate before that), Venture super light lows (love Royals too though), Ricta cores (not sure on size of the top of my head), Swiss ceramic bones... Love it.

So much of it is preference and brand loyalty though. If youre just wanting to mess around and skate then Id swap some of that stuff for China bones, a CCS blank, and CCS wheels. If it ends up being something youre interested in long term by the time you want or need to rebuild/upgrade youll have a much better idea of what you want.

Lets be real here, theres not much resale value so just get what it takes to get you rolling.

My .02
      That's a very nice set-up. I'd keep the wheels at 51 or 52 tho.

Comment

Originally posted by supRa View Post
        supp guysss...am thinkin of buying a skateboard. BUT am not quite sure which to get. i used to skateboard years ago nothing big which i had fun doing .( 180' pop shove it and some grinding.
        i had a voltage skate board which i purchased at champs back then i spend like 80 bucks for it :/.

there some cheap complete decks on ebay for like 60 bucks
        thiknin of getting this 1
        http://www.ebay.com/itm/ELEMENT-HOLD...item5ae9f28ee9

any1? drop some knowledge yay or nay
        i started skateboarding at 13 and stopped doing it daily when i hit 18 (i just turned 21 3 weeks ago). i'd do it more, but none of my old friends that i use to skate with all the time live around the city or do it anymore. besides that, skateboarding was my life in my teen years and i still try and keep up with it as much as i can.
        as for recommendation on what to get, if you're starting off just get anything that sits comfortably with you. there's all different types of sizes for decks, trucks, and wheels. seeing you got texas down as your location, why don't you try looking up and hitting up some skate shops around you? check out what they have and what's available and come up with what you like, cause i'm pretty sure if it's a legit shop, you will end up finding something you like.ordering online off sites like active and ccs should only be done if you already know what type of stuff you like (like certain brands and size decks).
        so first off, i'd suggest looking online to see what skate shops are nearby. then go check them out when you got time, you'll most likely get help from an employee at the shop and they'll help you pick out a complete board. sometimes they have complete boards already made, and they're cheaper than building your own custom complete. so maybe you want to go that route to save some dough, but first you got to go check out your local shops and see what's up.
        since all the other guys named their preferable brands i guess i'll state mine. top two board brands for me are habitat and stereo. when i started i used zero and popwar (rip). as for trucks, i'm mostly down with anything for the most part, but usually end up with silvers, royals, or ventures. i don't mind riding indys, but i'd prefer not to, haha. bones reds or bones swiss is what i usually have. i've ridden so many different brands throughout the years, it doesn't really matter as long as it's a legit pro brand.
        Last edited by chiguy91; 09-21-2012, 09:26 PM.

Comment

The complete you linked to looks good to me. No generic pieces or champs sports pieces (generic isn't necessarily bad, but sporting goods store boards most certainly are). Hard to tell, but the trucks look like ventures maybe? Ventures is basically all I ever skate (don't skate much anymore though). Elements are good decks. For 60 bucks, looks like a deal.

Comment

Also, it can be questionable buying a board online or from a catalog because you can't check it out first, however if you have a problem with one of the pieces (for instance the wheels) you could always swap them out, and you still have a spare set. Again based on the price, it looks like a good buy.

Comment

I just noticed the specs on the set up.

I see the deck is 8.25 inches. This is just me, but I never skate anything thicker than 8" myself.

Also, I just noticed the shipping costs a bunch. On second thought, if it was me I'd pass.

And I see the trucks are core trucks. Don't know anything about them.

The wheels are 52 mm. I usually would ride a little bit bigger wheels, 53 mm at least, but it's just about personal preference.

I don't think barrings make much of a difference. They all basically come from the same machine shops. Just make sure to lube them up yourself. Any decent oil should work. My friend recently told me he discovered that motor oil actually works really well.
              Last edited by Drunken Cat; 09-22-2012, 01:08 AM.

Comment

i wouldnt go with that element set up. what i love riding are real boards (8.0 or bigger), independent trucks, wheels and barrings dont really matter to me as long as they dont flat spot. to be safe id go with spit fire and bones. the set up might be a lil heavy but in my opinion its super solid set up and really hard to break. might be a lil pricey but its worth it.

Comment

Shop deck(Size 8), indys or thunders, spitfire wheels, and some bone red bearings.

Comment

Right now I got a Girl board 8.0''. Royal 4 trucks (I want thunders). I need new bearings and I wanna get the Bones STF wheels. Real boards I would say are one of the best. I made a complete from a US skate shop and the price is great, but the shipping is 160$.

Comment

Damn kids riding them wheelie boards in the ****in parkin lot all the damn time!

Comment

Working...
                      X