Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sonny Liston vs Larry Holmes

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i think a prime liston would jab him down get him on the ropes and eventually stoip him

people tend to underrate his skills

i tihnk larry was greater

but liston is better head to head

thats just the way i see it tho
    Last edited by JAB5239; 09-19-2011, 01:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SCtrojansbaby
      So I am guessing you dropped out of school in the 5th grade? and you have no clue how reach is measured
      So height matters reach doesn't ?
      Then a guy with 6 ft who has 84 reach is worse of than a 6'3" with lesser reach?

Okay? we get it

Comment

Originally posted by Greatest1942 View Post
        So height matters reach doesn't ?
        Then a guy with 6 ft who has 84 reach is worse of than a 6'3" with lesser reach?

Okay? we get it
        Ok first we need to understand what reach is. Reach is measured from finger tip to finger tip while standing with arms straight out horizontally. Hence guys with wide backs and broad shoulders have a longer reach which has nothing to do with how far your punches reach. Reach is often confused with arm length which is important

And even if you have longer arms height usually makes up the difference

Comment

Larry Holmes, imo. Just think he may have had better foot work. Liston did have a heavy punch though.

Comment

Originally posted by SCtrojansbaby View Post
            Ok first we need to understand what reach is. Reach is measured from finger tip to finger tip while standing with arms straight out horizontally. Hence guys with wide backs and broad shoulders have a longer reach which has nothing to do with how far your punches reach. Reach is often confused with arm length which is important

And even if you have longer arms height usually makes up the difference
            Im still adamant that back and shoulder width are only factors in measuring reach. I've met Marvin Hagler, he's a solid guy but not big by any means. I have no doubt Rocky Marciano was broader in the back and shoulders than Marvin, yet Haglers reach is 8" longer and he is also shorter by about 3". Some guys just have longer arms just like some people have longer legs. My pant leg is 32", but I know guys my same height with both shorter and longer legs.

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
              Im still adamant that back and shoulder width are only factors in measuring reach. I've met Marvin Hagler, he's a solid guy but not big by any means. I have no doubt Rocky Marciano was broader in the back and shoulders than Marvin, yet Haglers reach is 8" longer and he is also shorter by about 3". Some guys just have longer arms just like some people have longer legs. My pant leg is 32", but I know guys my same height with both shorter and longer legs.
              You are right it is only a factor its still the arm length is the # that you want

But usually height more than makes up for what ever the difference in arm length is as the straighter your aiming point(opponents face) is from your shoulders the longer your punch will reach

Comment

You are right it is only a factor its still the arm length is the # that you want

But usually height more than makes up for what ever the difference in arm length is as the straighter your aiming point(opponents face) is from your shoulders the longer your punch will reach
                I disagree. Especially considering that the chin isn't the only place you can hit someone.

Poet
                Last edited by JAB5239; 09-19-2011, 03:05 PM.

Comment

Having to do with this thread, than Liston still has a 1/2" overall advantage and Larry's height becomes a non issue. So whoever you choose to win it needs to be based on skills and intangibles such as how one would deal with a jab as good, nearly as good or better than his own. Both Holmes and Liston have never faced anyone with jabs as good as their own. Speed, power, toughness, grit, ring generalship, etc., etc., etc., all have to be factored in when determining a fantasy fight in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
                    than Liston still has a 1/2" overall advantage
                    Where do you get that from?

And besides just whose punches reach longer Holmes is a superior fighter in every way except power

Comment

Holmes's chin and overall better boxing skills prevail over Liston.

Say, TKO12

Comment

Working...
                      X