No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Ioka-Yaegashi: Strawweight Goes Big - Report Card

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Ioka-Yaegashi: Strawweight Goes Big - Report Card

By Cliff Rold - One of boxing’s biggest myths is ‘the best don’t fight the best.’ Look all over the landscape and one can find evidence to the contrary. The Super Six ended, only for Carl Froch-Lucian Bute and Andre Ward-Chad Dawson to get to the dotted line. Bantamweight hosted a hellacious tournament and then managed some more critical matches as epilogue. Jr. Welterweight has been a round robin of high quality for at least the last three years.

The truth is boxing, with its seventeen weight classes, has and will always have pockets of hot activity and pockets without.

Strawweight, or 105 lbs., has had a lot of without. Since the WBC kicked the division off in 1987, only three times have two of its titlists shared a ring: Ricardo Lopez-Alex Sanchez, Ricardo Lopez-Rosendo Alvarez I and Ricardo Lopez-Rosendo Alvarez II.

And, before some smarty pants points out Alvarez losing his belt on the scales before the rematch, Lopez still left with two straps. [Click Here To Read More]

Excellent historical write up and report card. Great read. Can't wait to see this one.

Comment

If you can weigh under 126 lbs while holding a race horse saddle, get the hell out of boxing...there is a much more lucrative sports career out there for you and you can even do it into your 50s.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadLikeMe View Post
        If you can weigh under 126 lbs while holding a race horse saddle, get the hell out of boxing...there is a much more lucrative sports career out there for you and you can even do it into your 50s.
        Perhaps the heavyweight division would be more to your liking? Go check that out and leave the little guys to the true boxing fans.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
          Perhaps the heavyweight division would be more to your liking? Go check that out and leave the little guys to the true boxing fans.
          Forgive me for finding the divisions south of super bantam menial and boring...it was a nice writeup by Cliff, but c'mon now...straw is a garbage division. I can appreciate Finito, but don't try to tell me dudes who weigh less than 12 year old girls are badasses...there is no way you can be 105 lbs and be a badass at the same time...the laws of thermodynamics forbid it.

Comment

The lower weight divisions are boss IMO. Plenty of skilled and powerful fighters under Bantamweight in history too.

For me, this is the biggest fight of the year. Love the Japanese.

Yaegashi-Poorpramook was the fight of the year last year. Shame it went to Ortiz-Berto but I can understand why that happened.

Comment

I can't wait for this fight. But how in the **** am I going to watch it.

Comment

Forgive me for finding the divisions south of super bantam menial and boring...it was a nice writeup by Cliff, but c'mon now...straw is a garbage division. I can appreciate Finito, but don't try to tell me dudes who weigh less than 12 year old girls are badasses...there is no way you can be 105 lbs and be a badass at the same time...the laws of thermodynamics forbid it.
                I'm mostly just messing with you, and of course you are entitled to your opinion.

But you are really missing out on some great action fighters in the lower weight classes.

Comment

fat 12 yo girls

12 year old girls weighing over 7 and a half stone (105 pounds) !?!?!?!
                  Do you live in one of those 'fat camps' ?!?!?!?!?!?!

Comment

the lower wts, below 154 have always been the best, IMO, but don't claim greatness 4 Ioka w/only 9 bouts, not in the same breath as Ricardo Lopez..

Comment

Working...
                    X