No announcement yet.

Hagler vs Monzon

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hagler vs Monzon

Who would win?, How would the fight go? and why?

This would be a war!

I used to be confient of Hagler winning but, now I'm not so sure.

I am confiedent though it would not be a "war" unless Hagler is losing at the end (which is likely) then the pace will increase but, not to the "war" standard. It's also one I see happening in 3 parts,

The first few rounds will be close, with both excellent jabs being used frequently.

Monzon would then begin to counter and predict Hagler in my opinion.

Haglers would become an aggresive fighter and take the pace up using his superb stamina which was a little better than Monzons to start putting some rounds in the bank.

It's a case of whether Haglers aggressive drive at the end can get him enough points to win the bout. I am unsure, I think Hagler may score a knockdown late, which could be the deciding factor.

Comment

Monzon got the reach advantage and a accurate popping jab Hagler would have to get inside and make it a war IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by SPREAD View Post
        Monzon got the reach advantage and a accurate popping jab Hagler would have to get inside and make it a war IMO.
        It's a 1 inch reach advantage though, hardly anything significant.

Liston > Ali reach advantage, did Ali go inside and make it a war?

Comment

Originally posted by Barnburner View Post
          It's a 1 inch reach advantage though, hardly anything significant.

Liston > Ali reach advantage, did Ali go inside and make it a war?
          Hagler has deceiving reach. People seem to forget that or presume he has a short reach when he really doesn't, at all.

But Liston Ali really and obviously can't me compared the styles are so vastly different than these two.

I do agree that Halgers best option is to try and skillfully get inside on Monzon, I don't see him coming out on top trying to jab with him.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
            Hagler has deceiving reach. People seem to forget that or presume he has a short reach when he really doesn't, at all.

But Liston Ali really and obviously can't me compared the styles are so vastly different than these two.

I do agree that Halgers best option is to try and skillfully get inside on Monzon, I don't see him coming out on top trying to jab with him.
            Yes I know but, he simply stated Longer Reach must go inside.

Hagler WAS NOT primarily an inside fighter either.

Comment

Hagler had really wide shoulders his arms were average length for a man his height. Monzon would have the length advantage which would enable him to control the pace and is why I give him the edge

Comment

Originally posted by Barnburner View Post
                Yes I know but, he simply stated Longer Reach must go inside.

Hagler WAS NOT primarily an inside fighter either.
                Absolutely. But he can fight inside, well. And I think that would be a better stratergy with Monzon as opposed to being on the outside. I don't see that.

But yeah I know what you were implying with the reach thing.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
                  Absolutely. But he can fight inside, well. And I think that would be a better stratergy with Monzon as opposed to being on the outside. I don't see that.

But yeah I know what you were implying with the reach thing.
                  Of course as I have stated in my post Monzon will start to time and predict Hagler in the middle rounds.

Comment

Always saw this as Monzons fight, myself.

Comment

Working...
                    X