No announcement yet.

training reactions

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• training reactions

hi guys. went to my first boxing gym yesterday. absolutly amazing time but one thing that i noticed was my reactions where ****. im 17 and i got my ass handed to me by a 13 year old shadowboxing because of his reactions. every time he threw a punch it landed before i saw it coming, and every time i threw a punch he saw it a mile off and parryed. i was talking to a veteran boxer there though and he said he was exactly the same. im just wondering how i can train my reflexes other than shadowboxing. thanks

start doing padwork with ur trainer

Comment

ok cool. one problem is i kept trying to block with the wrong hand. i think its because at a boxercise class i do you always punch and block diagonaly. so i dont know wether i should give up the boxercise. its good cardio, fun and i made a few friends but its not verry technical and seems to be messing up my propper boxing.

Comment

You only did one day...just keep going back and you will pick things up as you get more experience.

Comment

That's completely normal. You should feel slow, ackward, possibly out of shape, and like everyones better than you. If you keep going and don't let these things affect you , they'll change in no time.

Comment

Originally posted by bcfc View Post
            start doing padwork with ur trainer

thats fixed choreography, doesnt really help with improving your reactions. they would hit the mitts even if you blinded them. this is more about working on your quick twitch muscles and muscle endurance and quickness

also this fakeass coach (rick) is a punk making money off of roger mayweathers name. this dude had like 2 amateur fights and got knocked out both times now he claims like hes the best in the business and all this ****

but you are right, mitts is the key. theres a workout where your trainer has the mitts down and then suddenly he lifts one arm up and you have to hit the mitt right when his hand goes up. there are videos out there on youtube i cant really explain it that well but you probably know what i mean. those are good for improving reactions etc.
            Last edited by Bullrush; 09-10-2010, 03:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by josh-hill View Post
              hi guys. went to my first boxing gym yesterday. absolutly amazing time but one thing that i noticed was my reactions where ****. im 17 and i got my ass handed to me by a 13 year old shadowboxing because of his reactions. every time he threw a punch it landed before i saw it coming, and every time i threw a punch he saw it a mile off and parryed. i was talking to a veteran boxer there though and he said he was exactly the same. im just wondering how i can train my reflexes other than shadowboxing. thanks
              Train not to blink and just keep practicing

Comment

cheers guys. did a bit of mitt training with the instructer but he had limited time. is there anything i can do at home? im wondering about making a ping pong shooting machine to practice with

Comment

Originally posted by josh-hill View Post
                  im wondering about making a ping pong shooting machine to practice with
                  Awesome idea to be used in home when you don't have partner, and try to make it shoot randomly...or you can use the maize bag (slip bag); which tyson was using to develop his reactions, and it is so cheap, you need only a ballon, sand, pair of socks, and a rope, you can find tips on:
                  hxxp://rosstraining.com/blog/2010/05/07/diy-maize-ball-slip-bag/

regards,
                  Last edited by questionare; 09-11-2010, 11:09 PM.

Comment

thanks for that. now i have to raid the garage / atttic to see what i can find

Comment

Working...
                    X