Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has Strength & Conditioning replaced Boxing Training?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has Strength & Conditioning replaced Boxing Training?

This blog entry is interesting especially for those that are always asking about and talking about Strength & Conditioning

http://controlisfun.wordpress.com/20...ain-technique/

Also I wanted to say I'm not really on it like that as far as this forum is concerned. I don't have a high education of this site and how it works. I just post my free thoughts, opinions, and training tips. I have gotten a few messages on here that i just saw from months ago. Forgive me I really don't understand rewards and accolades etc. I just want to share and read you guys post. I wish you guys could have seen me staring at my profile screen here yesterday.... :/ It took me no bs 2 hours to figure out how to change my signature. So really please forgive me. I will step it up.

I love this line - “So many killers in the gym, so few knockouts.”

Comment

Originally posted by DIB420 View Post
      I love this line - “So many killers in the gym, so few knockouts.”
      me too! that same older dude says to me once when I was sparring and getting frustrated. he yells "Don't lose your head son. Your brains are in it." He was a quote waiting to happen. Also he introduced me to the concepts "Black Belt" and "Master Technique"

Comment

Originally posted by BarryRobinson View Post
        me too! that same older dude says to me once when I was sparring and getting frustrated. he yells "Don't lose your head son. Your brains are in it." He was a quote waiting to happen. Also he introduced me to the concepts "Black Belt" and "Master Technique"
        That ones not bad either...
        You're starting to grow on me Barry, just found this video you did Jan 2010, explaining the philly shell..
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxby1...layer_embedded

I've seen people spend hours trying to explain what took you about 6 1/2 minutes there.

Comment

Originally posted by DIB420 View Post
          That ones not bad either...
          You're starting to grow on me Barry, just found this video you did Jan 2010, explaining the philly shell..
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxby1...layer_embedded

I've seen people spend hours trying to explain what took you about 6 1/2 minutes there.
          thanks man

Comment

If your gonna teach cross arm positionings you need to start with your back foot not pointing away, you need balance in also. I watched your video and your not teaching a bend in the waiste and the feet positions and waiste angle come before hand technique. If balance is absent using a cross arm technique your teaching a student to be a one handed fighter. All the waiste and head rolls need to be taught prior to hand positioning. If you can't handle the rolls and weaves theres NO reason to teach the style. You saw what happened to Tyson once he stood UP, he got hit and was hit often leaning away with weight on his back leg and his toe pointing away. Sometimes certain young man need to be trained away from whats comfortable and accept a style that best for their success. Cross arm style works much better when your "inside" as opposed to outside. The body rolls weaves etc becomes an extremely difficult style to maintain as you get older and it keeps you on the defense longer than a more conventional way.
            I agree to try to adapt a comfort zone but not at the expense of being less productive. That left arm down in that position just screams to me to bring it and I did and my fighters did also, theres so much to learn in a cross arm stance. So few fighters could work in that style theres only Archie Moore and a few others that knew the entire repitiore that goes with that style. Good luck and again I agree at using a young mans natural attributes but only if the entire package could be taught and achieved. Ray Corso
            Last edited by Ray Corso; 02-14-2012, 09:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
              If your gonna teach cross arm positionings you need to start with your back foot not pointing away, you need balance in also. I watched your video and your not teaching a bend in the waiste and the feet positions and waiste angle come before hand technique. If balance is absent using a cross arm technique your teaching a student to be a one handed fighter. All the waiste and head rolls need to be taught prior to hand positioning. If you can't handle the rolls and weaves theres NO reason to teach the style. You saw what happened to Tyson once he stood UP, he got hit and was hit often leaning away with weight on his back leg and his toe pointing away. Sometimes certain young man need to be trained away from whats comfortable and accept a style that best for their success. Cross arm style works much better when your "inside" as opposed to outside. The body rolls weaves etc becomes an extremely difficult style to maintain as you get older and it keeps you on the defense longer than a more conventional way.
              I agree to try to adapt a comfort zone but not at the expense of being less productive. That left arm down in that position just screams to me to bring it and I did and my fighters did also, theres so much to learn in a cross arm stance. So few fighters could work in that style theres only Archie Moore and a few others that knew the entire repitiore that goes with that style. Good luck and again I agree at using a young mans natural attributes but only if the entire package could be taught and achieved. Ray Corso
              Im not really sure what your talking about in regards to "cross arm" style.?

I don't really train styles and in the video I think your referring to, we were just letting our hands go after conditioning. Additionally I 'm not sure how much experience you have working with Mixed Martial Artist. You can't change these guys over night. They have things that they were taught. You can only hope to improve them gradually.

Specifically as a rebuttal to your comment. I don't teach styles. I like fighters to be creative. I teach control and other small things. For example in this video im not teaching this kid a style. Just getting reps in like you would in any other sport. Also remember A Million Styles Boxing.

In this response I posted several links about me. I'd hate to be boxed in because you saw one video. A Million Styles Boxing

Also here is a playlist of my work with this young man twice a week for 3 months. It will give you a microcosm of what I like to do in the gym.
              Thanks for the feedback and I look forward to a response

Mr Corso

Comment

Good article this ones good as well .I think techniques the most important but then again useless if your not in condition .This article explains boxing is 70 percent anerobic 30 percent aerobic .Maybe skill and condition should have a similar rato you think .70 percent skill 30 percent conditioning .I think for pros technique is the most important defintley or for anyone wanting to box in tournaments etc alot more work on technique but they must still dig deep on conditioning .
                Skill Enhancement

The skill enhancement portion of a workout will consist of shadow boxing, bag work (heavy bag, double end bag and speed bag), punch mitt work with a trainer, sparring and defensive drills. A successful boxer must master his technique. He must also develop his defense. A fighter must learn to slip punches, block punches and react with counters. It takes time to learn the sweet science. Boxing is not a sport that can be learned overnight

Time For Conditioning

Due to the complexity of the sport, many fighters spend long hours working to perfect their technique. How does the fighter find time to work on his conditioning?

This question is common among aspiring boxers. The answer is simple. The boxer must bring the anaerobic training theme to the gym. When a boxer hits the heavy bag, he should do so with intensity and diligence. A boxer cannot "go through the motions" when preparing to fight.
                Whether hitting the mitts, the bag or inside the ring sparring, the boxer must make best use of his valuable time. This means training with intensity. A boxer is a unique breed of athlete. The physical obstacles faced inside the ring are foreign and barbaric to the average individual. Boxers are not average

Conclusion

To be successful in this sport, you must train with intensity. To be the best, you must train the best. There are no shortcuts or magic pills that will take you to the top of the mountain.

Boxing is an explosive, ballistic sport. The ONLY way to prepare for this sport is by training in a manner, which mimics the demands that you will encounter inside the ring. The ring is a lonely place for the fighter who is not in shape.
                http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/ss11.htm

Comment

Originally posted by BarryRobinson View Post
                  This blog entry is interesting especially for those that are always asking about and talking about Strength & Conditioning

http://controlisfun.wordpress.com/20...ain-technique/

Also I wanted to say I'm not really on it like that as far as this forum is concerned. I don't have a high education of this site and how it works. I just post my free thoughts, opinions, and training tips. I have gotten a few messages on here that i just saw from months ago. Forgive me I really don't understand rewards and accolades etc. I just want to share and read you guys post. I wish you guys could have seen me staring at my profile screen here yesterday.... :/ It took me no bs 2 hours to figure out how to change my signature. So really please forgive me. I will step it up.
                  Interesting topic. My point may be a bit off topic but, I believe skill outweighs strength and conditioning. I've seen it too many times in my previous gym where new members would spend countless days skipping rope, medicine balls, strength training, running, etc. Only to be put in place by someone who just returned to the boxing gym with years of experience but is out of shape.
                  A couple of my trainers were like this. Never saw a day in my life where they ran, skipped, or picked up any type of weight. Yet their skill completely overshadowed any type of strength or conditioning I had done.

Comment

Originally posted by KiengKoopa View Post
                    Interesting topic. My point may be a bit off topic but, I believe skill outweighs strength and conditioning. I've seen it too many times in my previous gym where new members would spend countless days skipping rope, medicine balls, strength training, running, etc. Only to be put in place by someone who just returned to the boxing gym with years of experience but is out of shape.
                    A couple of my trainers were like this. Never saw a day in my life where they ran, skipped, or picked up any type of weight. Yet their skill completely overshadowed any type of strength or conditioning I had done.
                    That's a great point. And one of the videos in the bog shows a guy outweighed almost every fight..

Comment

Working...
                    X