Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How would you rate Chad Dawsons accuracy?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How would you rate Chad Dawsons accuracy?

i think it's fairly poor, he doesn't counter enough to land the usual clean blow to snap the oppnents head back, he seems content enough in just sliping and not countering, and when he does choose to throw(which is in combinations) it's when the opponent has their guard up instead of throwing when they are open

i think his power is underrated and he would have more ko's if he could land more cleanly, but he just doesn't, he tries to punch through your gloves

also he seemed to have more stamina when he was with mayweather sr.

anyway, vote up
    1/10
    0.00%
    2/10
    5.88%
    3/10
    0.00%
    4/10
    0.00%
    5/10
    0.00%
    6/10
    0.00%
    7/10
    23.53%
    8/10
    29.41%
    9/10
    29.41%
    10/10
    11.76%

9/10.......

Comment

what dawson fights have you watched?

Comment

I think it's improved alot recently, Earlier on in his career he used to paw alot with the jab but now he lands it almost everytime he throws it. He was very accurate in the 2nd Glen Johnson fight. Id rate it around 8 out of 10, I think he's very accurate when he decides to exchange.

Comment

Originally posted by tehMatrix View Post
          what dawson fights have you watched?

The first time that i saw him fight was against Darnell Wilson in 04..

Comment

It's true he punches a lot of gloves when he throws his flurries, but at least he does throw combinations. He could be more accurate if he threw one shot at a time like Mayweather. But throwing combinations is much more exciting.

Comment

Dawson punching gloves.... Tarver I

Comment

Originally posted by tourlou82 View Post
                Dawson punching gloves.... Tarver I

and if you've watched a couple of his fights when it goes to the replay everyone thinks he landed flush, but it's either grazing or hitting gloves but the strenght of dawson sends these guys flying

i can't recall any flush punch on tarver neither, first i thought he landed a great uppercut, replay shows it as grazing, barely hitting tarver, and the knockdown isn't even flush niether, sort of hits tarvers shoulder and skids off the top of his head

so maybe i thought it was because tarver is hard to hit, but he doesn't hit johnson much neither, or harding(tho there is one perfect uppercut and some punches that get through the gloves but obviously the gloves take alot of the heat off the blows), same with gardener, only one i saw taking some flush ones was mendoza, and still there weren't many
                Last edited by SplitSecond; 07-03-2010, 10:40 AM.

Comment

and if you've watched a couple of his fights when it goes to the replay everyone thinks he landed flush, but it's either grazing or hitting gloves but the strenght of dawson sends these guys flying

i can't recall any flush punch on tarver neither, first i thought he landed a great uppercut, replay shows it as grazing, barely hitting tarver, and the knockdown isn't even flush niether, sort of hits tarvers shoulder and skids off the top of his head

so maybe i thought it was because tarver is hard to hit, but he doesn't hit johnson much neither, or harding(tho there is one perfect uppercut and some punches that get through the gloves but obviously the gloves take alot of the heat off the blows), same with gardener, only one i saw taking some flush ones was mendoza, and still there weren't many

He does land flush sometimes on elite fighters like Adamek, Johnson and Tarver, but you are right when you say replays show the real (absense of) impact of those punches, whereas realtime imaging is deceiving

his work to the body, hard jabs and straight left hands should not be overlooked though, and I can recall some flush Dawson punches have been landed on Tarver

with that said, I suppose his ''inaccuracy'' is caused by his willingness to make it a fight and pile up rounds when he has a defense oriented opponent (Tarver I and Adamek were not doing much)

what can you do when your opponent has his hands up and don't make it a fight ? you punch in combinations, and most of them don't land, some of them do, but at least you're punching while your opponent is not

that's why I think he COULD BE more accurate with his punches if he picked his shots like Floyd does (he would most likely hit the 50% landed punches mark), but his already poor popularity would go down (see Johnson II)

Comment

Tarver keeps his hands up well, he's limited flush punches from about everyone he's faced. Remember Dawson is a natural right hander, Im sure that plays into him not having the accuracy you think he should have also.

Comment

Working...
                    X