No announcement yet.

Vitali Klitschko set to retire

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Weltschmerz View Post
    Disappointing if he goes out with that Charr fight.
    Well it was a stoppage win in front of a full stadium, there are worse ways to leave boxing.

Originally posted by Ray* View Post
    I could see Haye positioning himself for a shot at Vitali's vacate belt straight away.
    Possibly, but I think Haye's interest now lies in a mandatory spot to Wlad so he can force a rematch. A title wouldn't necessarily do that.

Comment

He never really got beaten....interesting fighter.

Comment

About time. He is holding that title to ransom.

Comment

Originally posted by The Weebler II View Post
          Good luck to Vitali in his political career, unlike most politicians I think he's probably someone who cares about his country with his heart in the right place.

Incidentally, who will fight for his vacant title, Arreola and Stiverne?
          And those are the guys who dont get into power. Ukrainian politics are the most corrupt around

Comment

Vitali Klitschko "David Haye, this is personal, I want to knock you out"
            Vitali Klitscko "David Haye doesn't want to fight me"
            Vitali Klitschko "David Haye, beat Chisora and we will fight"

Vitali retires after fighting Charr and watching Haye KO Chisora.

I had a feeling he would bow out, but I was hoping he would follow Lennox Lewis and fight one of the biggest threats as his finale...but no, he fought Charr. Great.

(quotes not verbatim)

Comment

it's the right decision he was hanging onto that title fighting lesser opponents like charr while ducking you know who for too long, he needed to either fight a real challenger (Haye/Fury/Potvetkin) or retire he chose to retire ... so fair enough.

Comment

Originally posted by SweetScience View Post
                He never really got beaten....interesting fighter.
                yes he did ... by the two best fighters on his record ... he got tkoed by lewis (saying otherwise is being blind - the fight had to be stopped) and he quit on his stool v byrd(saying he didn't lose to Byrd is like saying Sonny liston didn't lose to Clay)

Comment

Originally posted by chav View Post
                  Vitali Klitschko "David Haye, this is personal, I want to knock you out"
                  Vitali Klitscko "David Haye doesn't want to fight me"
                  Vitali Klitschko "David Haye, beat Chisora and we will fight"

Vitali retires after fighting Charr and watching Haye KO Chisora.

I had a feeling he would bow out, but I was hoping he would follow Lennox Lewis and fight one of the biggest threats as his finale...but no, he fought Charr. Great.

(quotes not verbatim)

Completely agree with this ^.

Vitali's resume is pap. All he'll be remembered for his quitting against Byrd and having his face ripped open by an overweight/unmotivated Lewis.

I'm not saying Haye is a GREAT name to have on a resume; but its better than most. Even fighting Pulev or one of the GENUINE contenders would have helped. Instead he fought Manuel Charr in a half-empty arena in Moscow.

Saying that, if he feels he has achieved everything he can in professional boxing, or believes his best years are behind him, he should walk away.

He's a champion; but not a great champion.

Comment

Originally posted by Weltschmerz View Post
                    Disappointing if he goes out with that Charr fight.
                    Nope.

That match up was only indicative of his whole resume.

Comment

Originally posted by Russian Crushin View Post
                      And those are the guys who dont get into power. Ukrainian politics are the most corrupt around
                      Absolutely - when they interviewed Vitali during the elections, he said to the people, 'take the bribe money, but still vote for the candidate you have in your heart' - corruption permeates the system.

Comment

Working...
                      X