Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mike Tyson's ring attire...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From what I've read it was a Dempsey tribute, but the mourning reason is quite interesting.

As for the towel, it was just a make shift thing that Rooney came up with. It was a cold night and they didn't want Tyson getting cold on the way to the ring (He traditionally went on the ring walk with no robe or top) so he cut a hole in a towel and put it over Tyson.

Comment

Originally posted by The Iron Man View Post
      From what I've read it was a Dempsey tribute, but the mourning reason is quite interesting.

As for the towel, it was just a make shift thing that Rooney came up with. It was a cold night and they didn't want Tyson getting cold on the way to the ring (He traditionally went on the ring walk with no robe or top) so he cut a hole in a towel and put it over Tyson.

Bingo. As far as the black trunks being in mourning of Cus I do not think this is the case, because he was still wearing random colored trunks after his death.

I think it was just part of his mental intimidation.

Comment

Originally posted by CarlosG815 View Post
        Bingo. As far as the black trunks being in mourning of Cus I do not think this is the case, because he was still wearing random colored trunks after his death.

I think it was just part of his mental intimidation.
        I agree
        No flashy colors
        No fancy robe
        Just straight up business
        when he walked in that ring the fight was over
        before that first bell...the opponent just froze once
        he gave that first look
        the opponent had no other choice but to look
        at him not his attire.

Comment

Didn't Sonny Liston also start the whole boxers using entrance music while heading to the ring? I heard Liston had the song Night Train playing often when he would walk to the ring. Did any boxers use entrance music before Liston? After this became a popular practice in pro wrestling, more and more boxers started using entrance music for main events until now every main event has it. Pacquiao even recently had Jimi Jameson of Survivor accompanying him to the ring to sing Eye of the Tiger, even though Dave Bickler, Survivor's first lead vocalist, originally sang that song.

Comment

I was always informed that it was due to mourning, learn something new everyday on here.

Comment

Sonny had "Night Train" playing often during training! Tyson wore black trunks in tribute to Dempsey. He wanted to wear black at the training center in the Nationals too but that wasn't happening. Ray.

Comment

But whose considered the first boxer to have music playing when he walked to the ring? Or was this something boxers didn't really do until the '80s? But who started that whole thing? I'm just really curious about that now.

Comment

Not sure how it began (mourning or not), but I am pretty sure it at least became business. Boxing is a business. The minimal flash was a great fit for his persona. That he was an all business type of fighter who wasn't concerned with looking pretty. Just knocking heads off.

Comment

Also, it's interesting when you look at the Pinklon Thomas fight the HBO commentators mention a coin was tucked in one of his shoes...

Comment

I don't recall any boxers really doing that prior to him...
                      Last edited by richwasson4; 04-14-2012, 02:39 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X