Mike Tyson vs Buster Douglas

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WladimirK View Post
    What's your memory of this fight?
    Which circumstances in Mike's tumultuous life in 1990 were more significant and made him lose this fight?
    Interested to hear your memories and views on this one.
    I remember reading before the fight that he was spending all his time in geisha houses and wasn't training. The newspaper showed pictures of him, a week before the fight strolling down in the Ginza with a few fellows and geishas. (costumed women anyway) I recall it because I'd been there myself-without the women.....

Comment

Mike was defeated long before the bell rang! His "trainers" were amatuers his corner was a mess and he had no right to even be in there!
      Not to take anything away from Buster because Buster trained to win and he did! Buster was a very good heavy and without his outside problems and his inability to seperate his boxing career from every day problems he could have been much more successfull in the sport! He had good size, speed and power and was a good athlete even at 300lbs which he often balloned to!
      It wasn't that big of an upset if you knew what was going on in Mikes life then.
      Ray.

Comment

That's probably my favorite fight of all time, and at least top 3. It was the perfect storm. As others have said Tyson had been doing his own thing, and team sucked. See the rubber glove as proof they weren't prepared. He wasn't moving or throwing combos like the prime Tyson. On the flip side you can't take anyting away from Buster. He fought the perfect fight. The way he was using his jab was just a thing of beauty. Also as other said his mother had died and fueled his desire to win.

Comment

I remember seeing the front page headline of my local paper that I thought summed up the fight. It read "Real life Rocky k.o.'s Tyson".

Comment

tyson most overrated boxer of all time

Comment

Originally posted by ROSS CALIFORNIA View Post
              His ten count was 14 seconds to Tyson and to Douglas. They tried to get the decision over turned, but after looking into the rules, its a ten count not a ten second rule.
              Sad but very true. Tyson won the fight and was f,,ded bad.

Comment

Originally posted by hugh grant View Post
                Great performance by Buster, but didnt the ref rob Tyson with the long count. I thought Tyson won.
                better watch the fight again, Douglas could have gotten up at anytime. He caught up with the referees count and rose when he needed to. This the same BS arguement Don King tried

Comment

Mike picking up his mouthpiece as he was dazed and getting to his feet will be something ill never forget.

Comment

Originally posted by Boxing Bob View Post
                    better watch the fight again, Douglas could have gotten up at anytime. He caught up with the referees count and rose when he needed to. This the same BS arguement Don King tried
                    Yes he was going to get up at 5 but decided to wait until he got to 7. Tyson's legs were like jelly when he tried getting up.

Comment

Tyson looked like a drunk looking for his mouthpiece. But having said that, Tyson always tried to look kind of dignified when hurt. His legs have never done a trevor berbick dance and loose all dignity.
                      I think maybe cos Tyson didnt try bouncing up and down pretending he wasnt hurt like Berbick did.

Comment

Working...
                      X