No announcement yet.

Greatest fighter with bad genes

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greatest fighter with bad genes

Has there been any great fighters that dint have DNA on there side. Someone with poor power, not fast and dint have a great chin. I dont know of anyone special that dint have at least 1 of those 3 things.

Dimitry Pirog. He's ugly as hell.

Comment

Genetics always have a role to play in greatness. So the answer to your question is none.

Comment

Originally posted by Prince_Pugilist View Post
        Genetics always have a role to play in greatness. So the answer to your question is none.
        i would consider som1 who dint have those attributes but do well, to be considered great. So theres nobody? It would probably be a guy with a record of 100 wins 20 losses and 10 knockouts
        Last edited by likeamulekick; 01-27-2013, 02:23 PM.

Comment

Genetics is vastly overrated. Heart, dedication and hard work are the true winners.

Comment

Originally posted by TBear View Post
            Genetics is vastly overrated. Heart, dedication and hard work are the true winners.
            I don't doubt it for a second but you need the necessary genetics to have speed, strength, stamina, power etc. All of these things can be worked on in the gym but you need the general foundations to build upon.

I used to be a track athlete till I was 18, nothing major but took part in a few national championships. I saw plenty of guys with the wrong genetic make up try and have a go and finish last or in some cases, never finish at all. No matter how hard they tried. Natural talent comes from superior genetics in that field. Then you have hard work.

Originally posted by likeamulekick View Post
            i would consider som1 who dint have those attributes but do well, to be considered great. So theres nobody? It would probably be a guy with a record of 100 wins 20 losses and 10 knockouts
            Who may that be?

Comment

Originally posted by Prince_Pugilist View Post
              I don't doubt it for a second but you need the necessary genetics to have speed, strength, stamina, power etc. All of these things can be worked on in the gym but you need the general foundations to build upon.

I used to be a track athlete till I was 18, nothing major but took part in a few national championships. I saw plenty of guys with the wrong genetic make up try and have a go and finish last or in some cases, never finish at all. No matter how hard they tried. Natural talent comes from superior genetics in that field. Then you have hard work.

Who may that be?
              thats my question. som1 with a glass or even average chin, not great knockout power and not that fast, that has done well coz it seems u can be rubbish in these 3 things but as long as ur strong in at least 1 u can become great.

Comment

Let's take a look at last night. He's not great, but he's good and somewhat accomplished. Jesus soto-karass looks like a walking stick insect...but he can box

Comment

Originally posted by krazyn8tive View Post
                  Let's take a look at last night. He's not great, but he's good and somewhat accomplished. Jesus soto-karass looks like a walking stick insect...but he can box
                  But he's not a great fighter. He is a functional one.

Comment

Tough one.......but I reckon Baby Jake Matlala was under five feet tall (4.10 maybe at a stretch?) and had a tiny reach as well, and that's pretty bloody titchy even for a bloke campaigning at light flyweight.

But he knocked out some good people in world title fights - including Carbajal - and beat some decent British champs on the road as well. He gave Dave McAuley who was 5.7 inches in a good old, war in Belfast for the IBF title. Remember that fight well, Matlala actually used his lack of size to give Dave a hard scrap.

Maybe not a great, but Jake was a world class operator who overcame the fact that he was smaller than most teenage girls.

Guess their is a case for Valuev as well....right at the other end of the scale. Clearly a man with an over-active thyroid condition and not built for any kind of movement, stamina or speed. But managed to box at a decent level was very dedicated by all accounts.

Comment

Working...
                    X