No announcement yet.

Aaron Pryor vs todays LWW

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by New England View Post
    manny was a beast at 140 against hatton, but that's his only fight at the 140 limit.

he's weighed at or around 140 for many of his fights, but he doesn't have a lengthy tenure at 140

now, with that said, i believe manny's best weight today would be 140 if you want to fully take advantage of his physical abilities in terms of his speed, size, and punching power. his fight with hatton and his fight with de la hoya are the best i've ever seen him look, and he was 138 and 142 respectively weighing in for those fights, probably walking in to the ring at around 145ish in each

but toasted?

isn't that a little harsh when talking about a man who is one of the best ever at 140 lbs?
    not at all. Frazier is one of the greatest heavyweights of all time, but he still got toasted by Foreman. it happens.

Pryor was a force, but his defense was WIDE open, he ran forward throwing punches with his head sticking up half the time. and heres the real death sentance for him in the fight...he does it at midrange, which is Pacquiao's perfect attack range. Pacquiao is flat out too good of an offensive fighter, combining together his punching ability and handspeed.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpup2k_t_m0

watch Pryor get stung multiple times and dropped against an unranked southpaw in Akio Kameda in his prime. Pacquiao is a FAR better offensive fighter than Kameda was, and yet Kameda still hit Pryor often and cleanly. If Pryor actually fought at close range then he would have a good chance, but he didnt. he stood his ground at midrange. he would get beat to the punch at that distance constantly, and his lacking defense would kill him in exchanges.

dont get me wrong, Pryor gets some licks in, and Pacquiao would be a bit bruised up himself. but I have no doubt whatsoever that Pacquiao finishes Pryor within 12. just too much southpaw firepower for someone who didnt have good defense.

Comment

Originally posted by Steak View Post
      not at all. Frazier is one of the greatest heavyweights of all time, but he still got toasted by Foreman. it happens.

Pryor was a force, but his defense was WIDE open, he ran forward throwing punches with his head sticking up half the time. and heres the real death sentance for him in the fight...he does it at midrange, which is Pacquiao's perfect attack range. Pacquiao is flat out too good of an offensive fighter, combining together his punching ability and handspeed.
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpup2k_t_m0

watch Pryor get stung multiple times and dropped against an unranked southpaw in Akio Kameda in his prime. Pacquiao is a FAR better offensive fighter than Kameda was, and yet Kameda still hit Pryor often and cleanly. If Pryor actually fought at close range then he would have a good chance, but he didnt. he stood his ground at midrange. he would get beat to the punch at that distance constantly, and his lacking defense would kill him in exchanges.

dont get me wrong, Pryor gets some licks in, and Pacquiao would be a bit bruised up himself. but I have no doubt whatsoever that Pacquiao finishes Pryor within 12. just too much southpaw firepower for someone who didnt have good defense.

i disagree completely
      pryor had a lot more going for him than what you're crediting him with
      he had over 200 amateur fights
      he had seen a lot and knew how to adjust

pacquiao backs up to the ropes
      it's actually not that hard to back him up. he fights in straight lines.
      and he fights in spots, while pryor warmed up to consistent pressure and activity

pryor UD. the more i think about it, the wider i think the decision will be in terms of rounds. maybe 10-15

the way to lose to pacquiao is to cover up and let him beat you with handspeed and footspeed
      if you can back him up or counter his offense you can get in some good work
      and i see pryor backing pacquiao to the ropes and finding space to land effective punches before manny can get away.

Comment

Working...
      X