No announcement yet.

#1 ATG Genius in world History?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by VirusTI View Post
    I just don't see why Newton would be the greater of the genius. We use a calculus much closer to Leibniz' than Newton's, and his contribution to philosophy was monumental.
    His science....

and the OP is excluding Philosophical contributions.

Comment

Originally posted by res View Post
      His science....

and the OP is excluding Philosophical contributions.
      But to exclude philosophical contributions is in turn to exclude science(natural philosophy, empiricism, skepticism, etc...) OP being a moron should not let a good debate go to waste

Comment

Originally posted by VirusTI View Post
        But to exclude philosophical contributions is in turn to exclude science(natural philosophy, empiricism, skepticism, etc...) OP being a moron should not let a good debate go to waste
        Well personally I would say that Leibniz's contributions to Philosophy are not quite on the scale of Newton's contributions to Science

Simply having invented a Calculus with a better notation I don't think can push him ahead of Newton since they both invented a version independently.
        Last edited by res; 01-21-2013, 10:04 PM.

Comment

Imhotep, for sure.

Comment

Tesla could of given the world free electricity with the kinetic environment of the sky. enough said.

Comment

No Galileo? Charles Darwin? Thomas Edison?

This is the guy:

But wait, you said no philosophers. I guess I'll go with Galileo.

Actually, the question is pretty impossible to answer. What are the criteria? A lot of top-notch geniuses.

Is it based on their influence on the world? If so, see my first pick.

Comment

Originally posted by Nodogoshi View Post
                No Galileo? Charles Darwin? Thomas Edison?

This is the guy:

But wait, you said no philosophers. I guess I'll go with Galileo.

Actually, the question is pretty impossible to answer. What are the criteria? A lot of top-notch geniuses.

Is it based on their influence on the world? If so, see my first pick.
                Yeah no criteria at all. They are all great thinkers who worked for the betterment of mankind. They did not do their work to become ATG's in some boxing forum's thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Joeyzagz View Post
                  Rules:

1. No Philosophers. Sorry Socrates. There is a reason why Philosophy majors are fckin useless and unemployed.

2. No Artists or Musicians The invention of toilet seats is more important than all of Beethoven, Mozart and Vivaldi's music combined.

3. No Kings, Conquerers or Political figures Ghandi was a nice man but.. see #2.

You rule those out so easily. Music, art and philosophy is as important to human advancement as science. Philosophy allows us to advance knowledge of self and then in turn allows us to advance in science and technology. It helps us break the chains of religion and bigotry.

Art and music, I mean speak for itself. There are many geniuses that have changed the world with those two things.

Comment

Originally posted by Cuauhtémoc1520 View Post
                    You rule those out so easily. Music, art and philosophy is as important to human advancement as science. Philosophy allows us to advance knowledge of self and then in turn allows us to advance in science and technology. It helps us break the chains of religion and bigotry.

Art and music, I mean speak for itself. There are many geniuses that have changed the world with those two things.
                    His callous dismissal of Socrates as a mere philosopher also betrays an ignorance of Greek philosophy. Basically, they were simply the intellectuals of their age.

His notion that philosophy can never be useful, also betrays an ignorance of, for instance, Plato's "The Republic." One passage in this book explains how a 'philosopher', recognized that the olive crop was looking to be particularly good on the year, and he rented out all of the olive oil presses; then, when the olives came to be pressed, he being in possession of the presses, charged a higher fee, and thus earned a healthy profit.

In doing so, he proved--in Plato's words--that a 'philosopher' can make good money, if he puts his mind to doing so.

Comment

Originally posted by Nodogoshi View Post
                      His callous dismissal of Socrates as a mere philosopher also betrays an ignorance of Greek philosophy. Basically, they were simply the intellectuals of their age.

His notion that philosophy can never be useful, also betrays an ignorance of, for instance, Plato's "The Republic." One passage in this book explains how a 'philosopher', recognized that the olive crop was looking to be particularly good on the year, and he rented out all of the olive oil presses; then, when the olives came to be pressed, he being in possession of the presses, charged a higher fee, and thus earned a healthy profit.

In doing so, he proved--in Plato's words--that a 'philosopher' can make good money, if he puts his mind to doing so.
                      That philosopher was a businessman who practiced monopoly. LOL

Comment

Working...
                      X