No announcement yet.

Halle Berry Cites 'One-Drop' Rule

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Halle Berry Cites 'One-Drop' Rule

Halle Berry Cites 'One-Drop' Rule in Battle Over Whether Her Daughter Is Black or White

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/halle-b...ry?id=12869789

By SUSAN DONALDSON JAMES

Halle Berry said she is in a war of words with her ex-partner, Gabriel Aubry, about their daughter's racial identity.

Berry, 44, is the daughter of a white mother, who was a psychiatric nurse, and a black father, who was a hospital attendant in the same ward. Aubry is French-Canadian and white.

The couple is in the middle of a bitter custody battle over their 2-year-old girl, Nahla.

"I feel she's black. I'm black and I'm her mother, and I believe in the one-drop theory," Berry said in an interview with Ebony magazine.

The "one-drop" rule refers to Jim Crow laws passed in the South during the 20th century to further disenfranchise African Americans.

It varied from state to state, but generally, if a person had "one drop" of black blood, they were forbidden to pass as white.

"I'm not going to put a label on it. I had to decide for myself and that's what she's going to have to decide -- how she identifies herself in the world," Berry told Ebony. "What I think is that that's something she's going to have to decide."

"And I think, largely, that will be based on how the world identifies her. That's how I identified myself," she said. "But I feel like she's black."

Berry's remarks underscore an ongoing debate about racial identity in a country that is becoming much more multi-ethnic.

3/4 of her grandparents are white,

I would say she is white, well mixed.

Comment

She and her daughter are thugs.

Comment

Comment

Shes black, forget all the PC bull****, you just have to look at the kid to see shes black.

Comment

Originally posted by ABOSWORTH View Post
            She and her daughter are thugs.
            lmaooooo....

Comment

Originally posted by Sir TomJones View Post
              This is exactly why Asians dont racemix with blacks. It takes forever the decedents to "look" full again. 4 or 5 generations at least.

Comment

She is a mulatto.

If the girl lives in South America but then again who cares.

Comment

Originally posted by Joeyzagz View Post
                  This is exactly why Asians dont racemix with blacks. It takes forever the decedents to "look" full again. 4 or 5 generations at least.
                  personally I probably would not have a child with a black person because I want my child to look like me and the rest of my family. (no racist)

Comment

"No racist" is the new "YOU KNOW" for 2011.

I am going to start using it like this:

"No racist, I like to ride a bike."

"No racist, I like to play video games."

"No racist, I like Chinese food."

"No racist, I like big butts."

"No racist, I like hoodies."

"No racist, I know how to swim."

"No racist, I graduated from college."

"No racist, I have a passport."

Comment

Working...
                    X