Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much do robberies actually hurt boxings popularity?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For every one robbery, there are fifteen great fights, a few boring ones too but the good ones make it worth watching.

Comment

Originally posted by HooksInYou View Post
      The worst thing about them is they hurt fighters careers. In the commentary to the Campillo-Cloud fight where Campillo was robbed, Al Bernstein talked about 2 fights before where Campillo was on the end of some questionable decisions. I haven't seen the other 2 fights, but if Campillo should have 3 wins where he has 2 losses and a draw, that is pretty damned bad for his career, especially considering he is 34 now.
      Blatant robberies disgust me on an a moral level. As a fan, they actually hurt to watch. But in recent years, your point has concerned me more and more. Maybe it's because I've gotten older, and I better understand that this is someone's livelihood. There's a reason why they call them "robberies". Some crooks literally steal money from an innocent individual and his dependents.

Comment

Some of the casual fans I know would watch the major PPV's with Mayweather or Pac, but after the Bradley fight several of them stopped watching boxing altogether. Who knows what data is available, but I'm sure robberies have taken their tole on boxing viewership over the years.

Comment

The fighter that wins via Robbery usually becomes "HATED" despite the robbery decision not being his fault at all!

Comment

I effin hate it when an underdog gets robbed, but for whatever reason I cant feel the same way when the guy thats supposed to win gets robbed.

Comment

I love robberies, its the only thing that keeps boxing worth talking about. If a robbery happens all you'll hear from people is "did you see that fight last night? wtf was judges thinking". Probably does the sport good when stuff like that happens.

Comment

I don't think the robberies have an impact on the sports success but I think the reason for robberies ruin the spirit of competition that has a negative impact on the sports success. Promoters are too interested in grooming a product which prevents certain fighters getting the opportunity they deserve, it also results in mismatches.

Comment

Originally posted by HooksInYou View Post
                  The worst thing about them is they hurt fighters careers. In the commentary to the Campillo-Cloud fight where Campillo was robbed, Al Bernstein talked about 2 fights before where Campillo was on the end of some questionable decisions. I haven't seen the other 2 fights, but if Campillo should have 3 wins where he has 2 losses and a draw, that is pretty damned bad for his career, especially considering he is 34 now.
                  The Shumenov fight was atrocious as well. Campillo clowned him all over the ring and won at least 9-10 rounds if not all of them.

Comment

In my experience robberies kill boxing. I have several friends that just assume all boxing is fixed so they don't bother with it. They say I might as well just watch wrestling.

Comment

Yes, they hurt boxing's popularity but you would have to be a veteran of forum's like these for a number of years to really understand that and see it at work. S*** is real.

Comment

Working...
                      X