Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did Chavez Jr. raise his stock last night???

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

he's definitely improving.... i wonder how good he is at beer pong though, i could use a good teammate

Comment

Didn't help that Rubio fought Chavez's fight all night but definitely seeing some improvement. He knows how to utilize his size advantage and imposes himself as he should. I don't think he'll ever be great but compared to a year ago I don't think he gets as embarrassed by Martinez should the fight ever happen. I'll give him this, at least he's a fan friendly fighter.

Comment

I told you so.

Comment

It proves Julio is a good Middleweight, but still isn't beating Sergio right now.

Comment

I think his stock dropped and probably lost some fans. What a boring fight. The crowd in Texas was booing him. Rubio wasn't even doing anything like having a high guard or running away that prevented Chavez from putting on a show. While I thought this was a step up and I'll give Chavez some credit because Rubio looked okay on paper, I never thought he had a chance of losing. And I think people (including me) ended up overrating Rubio way too much with that Lemieux win, especially considering what Joachim Alcine did to Lemieux in his next fight.

Overall, I think he regressed from his last fight.
            Last edited by DoktorSleepless; 02-05-2012, 12:08 PM.

Comment

Im a massive fan of his father and have never been that impressed by Jnr. But i just watched the fight, and although he does need to fight the top MW's, i loved his tenacity. Many of the top fighters lack that quality.

Comment

yes... but just like one of those 3rd world countries with double digit gdp growth... until the next civil war

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
                  i voted yes with a disclaimer

if you had told me that chavez would be this good years ago, when he first started fighting on BS top rank PPV and the like against bums at lower weights, i wouldn't believe you

the kid is improving. there's plenty of room for it, certainly. it's not out of the question that he will continue to get better every time he fights. i am noticing marked improvements.
                  this also kaiboshes the notion that a freddie roach fighter cant fight inside. jr gets in there without a jab and can find space to land body punches.

he needs to start eating and living like a fighter year round and do his best to stay at 160. the guys at 168 are bigger and frankly they're just better than he is.

i dont think he will ever be anything special, but he's getting better every time he fights. he's got some stuff you cant teach. a good chin, and a hard left hook to the liver. that's a recipe for an exciting fighter.

eventually i want to see him fight canelo. two years from now. 164-5 lbs
                  it would not only be a massive event, it would probably be a classic fight if they showed up to scrap

canelo isnt a small guy himself, he's the superior boxer, and eventually he's going to fill out into a MW

What I have notices is that Freddy doesn't like to change his fighters style, rather enhance what they are great at.

I really like that approach, vs a guy like Emmanual Steward who tries to force fighters to fight a certain style.....which in turn ends up making those fighters worse.

Comment

Jr. is improving a lot and actually taking boxing very serious.

I felt he solidified himself as a top MW and I actually favor him over a lot of guys at that division.

IMO he is going to be one of those late bloomers, who will finally come full circle in his late twenties to early thirties.

Comment

The same for me. Not nearly as bad as many say but not elite and probably never will be.

Comment

Working...
                      X