No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Rigondeaux, Manager Differ on Switch To Pedro Diaz

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CubanGuyNYC View Post
    I agree that Rigo shouldn't be switching trainers and that his rationale to do so is silly, but I disagree on some of what you say about Diaz. Miguel did pretty darn well against Mayweather, better than many thought he would. Cotto then went on to lose against an underrated younger fighter in Trout. In both cases, Miguel would've probably lost anyway, so it's hard to blame Diaz.

I don't think it's a forgone conclusion that Cotto would've beaten Margarito regardless of trainer. It seems that many, including the fighter himself, thought Pedro was instrumental in Miguel's successful preparation for the rematch. It'll be a while before Diaz proves his ultimate worth as a trainer, but Cotto seems to have faith in him. And if anyone should know, it's him.
    I respect your point of view, however, Miguel doing better against Mayweather than most anticipated isn't going to get Diaz acknowledgement of being a great trainer. In addition, Cotto still illustrated stamina issues against both Money & Trout, a good trainer would have prepared his fighter much better knowing this weakness beforehand. Also, Diaz didn't consistently instruct Cotto to pressure Money or Trout throughout each of those bouts. Cotto's only chance at Money was to pressure, pressure, pressure and keep the fight on the inside so he can land his power shots but instead he did that occasionally throughout the bout. Same thing can be said regarding the Trout bout, for Cotto had a disadvantage when it came to physical attributes yet Diaz and Cotto elected to stay on the outside and get out boxed to a UD. Diaz failed to construct a solid game plan for Trout, for this fight was winnable, so too was the Mayweather fight but more so against Trout. A trainer who has a fighter that is considered a future HOF'r should have all the necessary tools to beat his opponent, especially if his opponent is moving up in weight. As for the Margarito rematch, IMO it was evident that Margarito was shot. Margarito couldn't even get his punches off nor was he able to cut off the ring, I still believe regardless of who Cotto had in his corner that night, for he would have still came out victorious. Your right about Diaz though, only time will tell how he good he really is.
    Last edited by BIGLEX; 01-31-2013, 11:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BIGLEX View Post
      I respect your point of view, however, Miguel doing better against Mayweather than most anticipated isn't going to get Diaz acknowledgement of being a great trainer. In addition, Cotto still illustrated stamina issues against both Money & Trout, a good trainer would have prepared his fighter much better knowing this weakness beforehand. Also, Diaz didn't consistently instruct Cotto to pressure Money or Trout throughout each of those bouts. Cotto's only chance at Money was to pressure, pressure, pressure and keep the fight on the inside so he can land his power shots but instead he did that occasionally throughout the bout. Same thing can be said regarding the Trout bout, for Cotto had a disadvantage when it came to physical attributes yet Diaz and Cotto elected to stay on the outside and get out boxed to a UD. Diaz failed to construct a solid game plan for Trout, for this fight was winnable, so too was the Mayweather fight but more so against Trout. A trainer who has a fighter that is considered a future HOF'r should have all the necessary tools to beat his opponent, especially if his opponent is moving up in weight. As for the Margarito rematch, IMO it was evident that Margarito was shot. Margarito couldn't even get his punches off nor was he able to cut off the ring, I still believe regardless of who Cotto had in his corner that night, for he would have still came out victorious. Your right about Diaz though, only time will tell how he good he really is.
      You make some good points, but a trainer can only do so much, the rest is up to the fighter. Cotto's best days are behind him. His stamina issues have been brought up before. It could be that there's no satisfactory solution to Miguel's endurance problem. I'm not pinning everything on Cotto. Maybe you're right; maybe Pedro is to blame. We agree that the answer lies down the road....

Comment

That would be a bad idea for Rigondeaux to switch trainers right now with a fight with Donaire in April.

Comment

Rigo is telling these guys what to do; I read that Rigo was going with Diaz for the general preparation, after that part of camp he was going back to Rubio.
          Same shxt different pile, Rigo is going to tell them what to do, maybe Diaz has less distractions for him. 50/50 on this.

Comment

They are both excellent trainers..

Comment

He's penny-pinching. It's silly, but you have to understand a little about the man's background before you can judge his actions. Legacy is the sort of thing you worry about once you feel you've adequately covered the other, necessary bases.
              I can't blame him thinking he might lose this fight, thus he wants to save up as much for the drought to come if he loses to Donaire. Donaire had the same mentality about money and fought his last fight so soon before his hand is fully healed. Amazing when you are not Pacquiao or Mayweather, these lower ranked guys fight for what those two would consider as tips.

Comment

Originally posted by Scarab View Post
                I can't blame him thinking he might lose this fight, thus he wants to save up as much for the drought to come if he loses to Donaire. Donaire had the same mentality about money and fought his last fight so soon before his hand is fully healed. Amazing when you are not Pacquiao or Mayweather, these lower ranked guys fight for what those two would consider as tips.
                What??? ..how do you got that conclusion?..what make you think that Diaz id cheaper than Rubio..I think is the other way around..

Comment

Originally posted by Angry Cuban View Post
                  What??? ..how do you got that conclusion?..what make you think that Diaz id cheaper than Rubio..I think is the other way around..
                  According to the article, Diaz would take less money than Rubio to work with Rigo.

Comment

I wonder why no-one said what I am thinking. Relationship between a trainer and a fighter matters the most. Once the trainer learns that his fighter wants to ditch him over money, the relationship is no longer there. Rigondeaux's manager did him a big disservice. This news is going to affect not only Rigo's relationship with his current trainer, but also with whoever he goes to next. How would you feel training someone who only came to you because you charge less?

At this point the best thing Rigo can do is release a statement that it was never about the money and he was misunderstood, and move to a new trainer.

Comment

According to the article, Diaz would take less money than Rubio to work with Rigo.
                      But you know that's not true....

Comment

Working...
                      X