Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fighters who did drugs (non-PEDs)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

People mentioning here boxers using cocaine doesn't really fit IMO, since that's a stimulant, which can enhance performance and the topic started asked for non PEDs. Speaking of which, I've heard that Panama Lewis used to dissolve some kind of asthma pill in a boxer's water to give him an energy boost in later rounds, like in the first Pryor-Arguello fight. Worked as a stimulant.

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
      People mentioning here boxers using cocaine doesn't really fit IMO, since that's a stimulant, which can enhance performance and the topic started asked for non PEDs. Speaking of which, I've heard that Panama Lewis used to dissolve some kind of asthma pill in a boxer's water to give him an energy boost in later rounds, like in the first Pryor-Arguello fight. Worked as a stimulant.
      Almost every fighter with a coke problem has performed very poorly when they've been binging. Cocaine is a stimulant and can mask pain, but its use is very detrimental to any athlete's health and conditioning. There are much better stimulants for competition than cocaine. Since the coke use is 99.9% recreational it fits well here.

Comment

Ah I see. So, if Aaron Pryor hadn't been hooked on coke, would he have gone 40-0, instead of 39-1 or lasted even longer than he did?

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
          Ah I see. So, if Aaron Pryor hadn't been hooked on coke, would he have gone 40-0, instead of 39-1 or lasted even longer than he did?
          I watched Pryor get KO'd by Bobby Joe Young. He was a shell of the fighter who beat Arguello, even though he should have still been near his prime. The two worst things about 1980's boxing were cocaine and Don King.

Comment

Cocaine would most likely be detrimental to performance ... it is a stimulant, yes, but intoxication from it will not increase your focus (will actually do the opposite) and it increase the levels of nearly every major neurotransmitter, inducing a multitude of different psychological effects. It will cause anxiety rather than the "stimulation" you want.
            Last edited by TysonBomb; 01-23-2013, 01:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by #1Assassin View Post
              totally different than what exactly? heroin? coke? weed?

is there anything wrong with kassim ouma smoking a j between fights in your opinion? cannabis being far less harmful than alcohol in every single way.

im not saying i disagree with you, i just dont see how alcohol is alright if less harmful drugs arent and you talk as if alcohol is a light drug but thats not the case. its not heavy but its not light either, its inbetween.

"Massive amounts of fighters do drugs but damn NEAR all of em have a drink".

having a drink is doing drugs, a legal drug. a drug more harmful than weed, exctacy and lsd just to name a few and damn near equal to cocaine.
              The main difference is that it is legal. So in that regard its different to all of them. Nah i actually dont have a huge problem with a fighter having a J here or there, if a guy is a smoker full time though then its not ideal for his fitness though. To me a guy can have a night out on the piss between fights and there is no problem, a guy who likes to shoot up or smoke crack? Thats a problem. Well i do agree Alcohol is more damaging than Exstacy in its pure form but and i can only speak for the stuff over here, its cut with so much other stuff that it becomes more damaging. There was a programme on this on tv the other month which was pretty good, the excstacy trials.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
                I watched Pryor get KO'd by Bobby Joe Young. He was a shell of the fighter who beat Arguello, even though he should have still been near his prime. The two worst things about 1980's boxing were cocaine and Don King.
                The two worst things about 1980's boxing were cocaine and Don King...

cant give you k, but this was worth it.

I will try an updated version, too: the two worst things about boxing in the 2010s are PEDs and Bob Arum.

Comment

SRL liked him some coke. Not sure whether he used while he was in training or not. Leonard, in George Kimball's book Four Kings, stated that immediately prior to his Lebron James-esque "announcement" that he would not be returning to the ring after his retina surgery, he had been snorting a good amount of cocaine.

Comment

Leonard and Benitez (Wilfred) were not exactly school boys!! This isn't that unusually when you think about the fact that these kids in boxing go to school, go to the gym and back to school. Most trainers got the report cards before the parents did so there was NO messing around or boxing would be taken away!
                    Flash to 15 years later and you have millions of dollars plenty of fans (women) and an urge to experiement with things you would have done years prior!!
                    The worst as far as bing uncontrolable was easily Ayala Jr. I loved that kid but he was more than a handfull. I remember fighting at the Playboy Mansion in Jersey and the kid disappears!!! If he were to stay on the straight and narrow he would have been one of the most exciting fighters to watch!! Shame! Ray

Comment

Originally posted by Danieltapia View Post
                      Someone at the gym told me fighters now will smoke a little marijuana if the think they might be tested for peds. Anyone know how that would mess up a test?

Sounds like old wives tales BS to me. You dont try to mask one drug with another that causes a positive. Plus marijuana has a larger detection window that almost everything else and its on almost every test because its cheap to test for.

Maybe someone does it because they THINK it would help but that doesnt mean it will help.

Comment

Working...
                      X