Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where would you rank a decisive Hopkins win among his best?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FLY TY View Post
    Agreed. Hopkins is 48!!!

If Dawson is what everyone thought, the next p4p king, this shouldnt even be a contest. Dawson is a very talented fighter, legend or not, he shouldnt be losing to a 47 y.o. fighter.

But he will.
    Dawson's going to beat him. And bernard will retire hopefully. He should have and could have retired after Pascal. That would have been a perfect way to go out.

Comment

Originally posted by SekondzOut View Post
      green!!!!

this would be his biggest win imo....Tito was coming up in weight so the critics like to play the size game with that win....Chad is bigger, stronger, younger, faster...goddam!! lol...this would be the crown jewel of them all imo...the stage is set!!!
      I can't forget the talk before the Trinidad fight, or the way that tourney was set up to crown him. The predictions before this fight are more even than before the Trinidad fight. If Tito hadn't beaten Joppy, it would be different, but he not only beat him he annihilated him. Then Hopkins beat the hell out of Tito.

Comment

Originally posted by SekondzOut View Post
        green!!!!

this would be his biggest win imo....Tito was coming up in weight so the critics like to play the size game with that win....Chad is bigger, stronger, younger, faster...goddam!! lol...this would be the crown jewel of them all imo...the stage is set!!!
        I agree. The only fight i may put above this one, MAY be the tito fight, b/c that sort of put hopkins out there in the mainstream. But like i said, look at the bigger pic, at age 47, where he can fight a bum, pad his record & the record books, hopkins decides to fight the top guy in the division, who's all of 29 years old! Who else does that?????

I may rank the tito victory as #1, b/c of what it did for hop's career, & he was fighting a puerto rican, in NYC, right after 911, but if he wins tonight, i certainly wont argue with ANYONE ranking this as #1.

Appreciate him while he's here, this wont be seen for a long long time.

Comment

Originally posted by pturtle View Post
          Tarver was his best win easily, don't be fooled by Trinidads name, the only thing that favored Trinidad in that fight was his age, Hopkins had everything else.

With Tarver he was coming of 2 losses at the age of 42 to skip a weight class and take on the guy who just beat the fighter of the year (Glen jOHNSON) And beat the fighter of the decade (Roy Jones) and Hopkins whooped him, even though I'm pretty are we all know that wasn't the real tarver that night.
          No need to qualify that win. Any version of Bhop schools any version of Tarver. As Bernard said to the press after that win, "What do you know about Bernard Hopkins that makes you think I could ever lose to an Antonio Tarver?"

Comment

If Dawson fights well and Hopkins still beats him by that much then I would rate that win just behind the Trinidad fight as his 2nd best win considering his age and how good Dawson is.

Comment

Originally posted by NachoMan View Post
              No need to qualify that win. Any version of Bhop schools any version of Tarver. As Bernard said to the press after that win, "What do you know about Bernard Hopkins that makes you think I could ever lose to an Antonio Tarver?"
              Its fine if you think that but at the time Bernard was a huge underdog coming off 2 losses and moving to traverse weight class who was the king at that weight. i don't care what you think all the odds were against bernard in that fight unlike the trinidad fight.

Comment

It should be right up there with his best win, which is still Trinidad, IMO.

For the past 3-4 years people have been saying Dawson was going to murder Hopkins, that Hopkins was afraid of him and that he was ducking him, this, that, and the other.

So if Hopkins schools this kid tonight at the age of 47 it should rank in his top 3 accomplishments. That said, it won't. Not here in NSB, anyway. Dawson will instantly go from a younger, stronger, faster, hungrier threat to Hopkins' legacy to a B or C class fighter who should retire in shame.

Welcome to NSB.

Comment

Originally posted by Barnburner View Post
                  Of his 20 defences only 6 or so were of the lineal title. Hagler had 12 of the undisputed title and Monzon 14.

If you think Hagler was a brawler quite frankly you're not worth anyone's time when discussing Hagler.

Hagler didn't get hit a lot, he's known for his granite chin as he walked into a Hearns bomb and shook it off like it was nothing. Having a "granite" chin does not mean you get hit a lot that is stupid.

So it's safe to say Hopkins doesn't get hit a lot so his chin is *****? Come on that's ridiculous.
                  so there was only 1 title to have. hopkins gets full credit as champ because he beat the guys who had the other portions of the title from 95-96 until it was unified.

Comment

How can "The great accomplishment in Boxing history by beating Chad Dawson" not be his best win?

I can't fathom that.

If Hopkins wins tonight he will have the two greatest wins in the history of Boxing.

Jean Pascal and Chad Dawson.

Comment

Originally posted by Davis40 View Post
                      so there was only 1 title to have. hopkins gets full credit as champ because he beat the guys who had the other portions of the title from 95-96 until it was unified.
                      yeah I never understood why people bring that up. There was 1 title back in day not 4+. It's a lot harder to unify the belts these days with all the BS politics in boxing and hopkins tried but couldn't get those fights against the other title holders for several years, thanks to don king and others.

It's very, very difficult to unify the belts and hopkins gathered them all

Who is the last fighter to unify The Ring, WBC, WBA, WBO & IBF belts? I can't think of a single fighter off the top of my head besides hopkins.
                      Last edited by ИATAS; 04-28-2012, 04:03 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X