Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much more Mayweather needs to do to be serious candidate for GOAT?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Andyreww View Post
    IMO, he's already there or very close.
    Sorry, but Floyd would have to stand on Ellerbee's shoulders just to kiss Ray Robinson's ass.

Poet

Comment

Hah, no doubt Robinson is defintely up there with the best, I think alot of the older generation fighters get too much credit though, boxing is alot more tactical nowadays, instead of standing you punch me I punch you, In 50 years from now, they'll be saying the same about Floyd and the Fighter of that era.

Comment

Hah, no doubt Robinson is defintely up there with the best, I think alot of the older generation fighters get too much credit though, boxing is alot more tactical nowadays, instead of standing you punch me I punch you, In 50 years from now, they'll be saying the same about Floyd and the Fighter of that era.
        Nothing Floyd does is new. People act like he invented the shoulder roll when the truth is you can find fighters doing it back in the 40s......and the same is true for everything else he does.

And no, boxing today is NOT superior to previous generations.

Poet

Comment

Originally posted by poet682006 View Post
          Sorry, but Floyd would have to stand on Ellerbee's shoulders just to kiss Ray Robinson's ass.

Poet
          Forget Ellerbe.

He'd have to stand on that bodyguards shoulders who's head wasn't even in the camera! Did you see that in the ring walk?

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
            Forget Ellerbe.

He'd have to stand on that bodyguards shoulders who's head wasn't even in the camera! Did you see that in the ring walk?
            Naw, I ignore the ring walks and use the time to go grab another Molson.

Poet

Comment

I can't see how anyone could consider Floyd the all time best out of ALL boxers past and present! He could go on for 10 more years but he could never change my opinion that theres fighters who fought in the same weight class that would defeat him and theirs others that are just as skilled and in fact better. He's a very talented young man and his mental toughness has improved dramaticly but he can't punch hard he prefers not to press and dominate, and he's not a great closer. Being able to counter move and punch is a very high skill but its not a method that I prefer over a fighters skill to dictate the entire fight, then try to end it with power!
              To name a few that I believe would handle Mayweather and he would get stopped by some of these young men;
              Sugarman
              the Kid
              Napoles
              Harrington
              Griffith
              DiMarco
              Leonard
              Hearns
              Duran (at welter or jr.ww, or especially lytweight)
              Benetez vs Mayweather would be the cure for insomnia!! Floyd be dec.
              theres a few more but what the hell that s just a few from 140 to 152. Ray.

Comment

Ever seen Robinson fight?

I honestly don't see how he has come to be known primarily as this grand, elegant boxer. Dancer, my ass. Guy was a savage. Sure, He circled the ring with fluidity and balance and possessed a quick, accurate jab, but used it to set up and unload an array of power blows, effectively choosing his spots and ripping off multiple shots to the body and head at the drop of a dime. Had so much speed and power, could punch and hurt you wading in-and-out, going forward or backwards, with a cast iron chin of his own. Best combination puncher I've ever seen -- that includes Louis, Tyson, Leonard, et al. This is based primarily on '50s Middleweight material, when Robinson was over 30 years old and no longer at his peak or even his most dominant weight class. Crazy.

Comparing his record to anybody not named Greb, Langford, Charles, Armstrong is almost a certain joke as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Hands of Iron View Post
                  Ever seen Robinson fight?

I honestly don't see how he has come to be known primarily as this grand, elegant boxer. Dancer, my ass. Guy was a savage. Sure, He circled the ring with fluidity and balance and possessed a quick, accurate jab, but used it to set up and unload an array of power blows, effectively choosing his spots and ripping off multiple shots to the body and head at the drop of a dime. Had so much speed and power, could punch and hurt you wading in-and-out, going forward or backwards, with a cast iron chin of his own. Best combination puncher I've ever seen -- that includes Louis, Tyson, Leonard, et al. This is based primarily on '50s Middleweight material, when Robinson was over 30 years old and no longer at his peak or even his most dominant weight class. Crazy.

Comparing his record to anybody not named Greb, Langford, Charles, Armstrong is almost a certain joke as well.
                  Yup, I've seen him box, he's defintely one of the Greatest of all times, and his chin is legendary, but I've said it before, it's all good throwing combos at people who are willing to trade and go toe to toe with you, for me, a prime mayweather has too much body movement, slightly faster and his defense is alot better. I think he'd win but a close Split/UD decision

Comment

Yup, I've seen him box, he's defintely one of the Greatest of all times, and his chin is legendary, but I've said it before, it's all good throwing combos at people who are willing to trade and go toe to toe with you, for me, a prime mayweather has too much body movement, slightly faster and his defense is alot better. I think he'd win but a close Split/UD decision
                    I think Ray would hit whatever he could hit, and keep hitting it until it broke.

15 rounds and I definitely give it to Ray. 10 rounds would give Mayweather a chance.
                    Last edited by res; 05-06-2012, 09:16 PM.

Comment

The match-up is too silly to entertain honestly. Mayweather was at his best south of 140 lbs IMO so it speaks well for his own greatness and ability that he's been successful at 147/154. Robinson would encounter the same difficulty finding Floyd's chin, but when he's ripping shots to the body in bunches and often, it is going to hurt much more than anybody Floyd has faced, not to mention they will be coming in much faster. Floyd does not have the power at 147 to bother him with his counter rights and Robinson wasn't short in the reflexes department himself. He doesn't need Floyd to go toe-to-toe to out-jab and out-work him, or even stop him. Of course if it came to blows he'd steam roll him in devastating fashion.

Comment

Working...
                      X