No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Deontay Wilder: American Dreaming

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Deontay Wilder: American Dreaming

By Cliff Rold - His Bronze Medal remains a positive sign.

For all the talk about the Olympic success being less a gauge of professional futures these days, the results don’t necessarily support the chatter. Guillermo Rigondeaux and Gennady Golovkin were Olympic medalists before they were pros. Andre Ward was as well. This fall, arguably the biggest fight the Heavyweight division can make (that hasn’t already been made) will take place between a pair of Olympic Gold Medalists at Super Heavyweight, Wladimir Klitschko (1996) and Alexander Povetkin (2004).

Between them was Audley Harrison.

The Olympics was never a guarantee of professional greatness. For every Ray Leonard who set the world aflame, there was a Howard Davis who couldn’t quite get to the title circles.

Fighters today who turn pro without bothering to chase Olympic glory don’t disprove the value of Olympic accomplishment. Mike Tyson, Marvin Hagler, and Aaron Pryor didn’t make the Games in their day. They made the professional Hall of Fame instead. Olympic glory is what it always was: a suggestion of future potential often realized.

Often not.

Deontay Wilder is part of two unique parts of the Olympic tradition. He is the only medalist for the US in the last two Games. He is also a Heavyweight.

Heavyweight medalists haven’t all won titles as pros but a substantial portion of the future elite in the last 60 years did. Klitschko, Joe Frazier, George Foreman, Lennox Lewis, and Riddick Bowe all medaled at Heavyweight or Super heavyweight. [Click Here To Read More]

Yeah, he is dreaming if he thinks he's gonna win the title

Comment

Originally posted by Earl Hickey View Post
      Yeah, he is dreaming if he thinks he's gonna win the title
      Wilder is teh future

Hating ass briton

Comment

Originally posted by STAX ON DECK View Post
        Wilder is teh future

Hating ass briton
        Future of what?

Comment

Originally posted by STAX ON DECK View Post
          Wilder is teh future

Hating ass briton
          Sure thing, bro...

Comment

A prime Liakhovic would have been a test. Brewster and Briggs fights took a heavy toll, and then Helenius practically finished him.. I still hope the White Wolf can drag the chicken leg to the late rounds, just to see what happens when Wilder has to really fight for his W.

Comment

Sergei looks in very good shape -- he might make the new David Price out of this dumbass Wilder.

Comment

hope Sergei is safe and sound after the bout

Wilder is a dangerous young fighter with a hammer for a right hand. As an Olympic Bronze medalist he must have some skills, but he also certainly has some holes in his game. He leans in to the right when he jabs, keeps his head up and his hands down sometimes, and he's never been past 4 rounds. Maybe stamina could be an issue, if the "White Wolf" can get him into the later rounds. I hope he crowds this guy, leans on him, works his body, and frustrates him.
                And if things don't work out, I hope Sergei is safe and sound after the bout. AND that he hangs up the gloves...

Comment

I like wilder i think he's exciting and raw as hell.

Still would love to see him and chisora go at it

Comment

Wilder has a long way 2 go , even in a weak division...mayb vs Jennings? He keeps padding his record w/has - beens he'll b pushed in w/1 of the Klitches & get hammered...I hope he succeeds, but he needs quality bouts, & this isn 't 1 of them...

Comment

Working...
                    X