Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Razor Sharp Quintana Flied This Morning To Miami

Like A Razor

By Carlos Narváez Rosario El Vocero Wednesday, 07 Abril de 2010 01:55

Carlos 'El Indio' Quintana part today to Florida for his fight Saturday against Andre Berto. File

A run and a comfortable early-morning routine yesterday afternoon ended with the preparation of the Puerto Rican Carlos 'El Indio' Quintana, who leaves today to Florida, where on Saturday will try to unseat the reigning welterweight World Boxing Council champion, Andre Berto.

Quintana, 33, left the sports center gym Carolina at a weight of 148 pounds, sa pound of the required weight for Friday's weigh in.

Both his work on the track, such as those on ring under the tutelage of renowned coach Jose Bonilla, could produce great results in the fight Saturday in the Bank Atlantic Center in Sunrise.

The Mocano who had a short reign in 2008 at 147 pounds after winning a unanimous decision to Paul Williams, against Berto will face his third title shot in four years.

"Today (yesterday) ran about 40 minutes and then we got to the gym for heavy bag, jump rope and mitts to go at 148 pounds and get comfortable in Florida," said Bonilla.

Quintana and his group are scheduled for 7:00 am today his departure to Miami where in the evening participate in a training session open to the media.

"We're ready for that once we finish the session open to the press playing weight. We are happy and satisfied with the work done, "he said.

Quintana's condition seems to be unbeatable. In his last week, the Puerto Rican ran six miles in 44 minutes and could repetitions of 800 meters in 2:45. The crossing 400 meters in 1:12 and this is one sample of the aerobic capacity of this fighter.

"This is not a secret. Many people know that 'El Indio' runs very well and for this fight the good times were not the exception, "said Bonilla. "The track has worked great for this fight looking for explosiveness and stamina."

The refinement in Quintana track reminds perhaps the best times of Felix 'Tito' Trinidad, a fighter who had a high quality and long-distance runner during his career and had excellent records in their resting pulse.

"We worked a lot to achieve recovery between assault and assault. During the morning and have to rest 40 beats per minute, and sometimes throw less. That really tells us how well we are, "he said.

Quintana has a 27-2 record and 21 knockouts. Their losses have been in 2006 against Miguel Cotto and 2008 in the second fight with Williams.

Berto is currently undefeated with a record of 25-0 and 19 anesthetized. His single most important disadvantage is that it will face an opponent who has never bothered to be disadvantaged by the public and connoisseurs of the sport.

Rather it has been in recent years become an executioner of those with spotless records as it was at a time and Colombian Williams Joel Julio, Quintana began to whom this new air in his boxing career.

"Quintana is a boxer who has earned class boxers. I do not know if the 'Indian' that takes pressure off, but the times you have been disadvantaged has looked immense. Against Joel Julio went to the slaughterhouse and against Williams, and left the door wide. We know that Berto is not easy and that is why we have prepared ourselves strong, "he said.

Berto and outside the enterprise Quintana Entretaiment DiBella, promoter Lou DiBella property.

did you put in this in google translate or something? It reads funny.

Comment

Hope this article isn't full of **** I got some money on Q for the upset!

Comment

this fight should be good

Comment

Great looks like he is not having any trouble making wieght like I thought he would.. I still think berto's too fast for him tho. Hope i'm wrong. War El Indio!!!!

Comment

When I saw him, he looked drain, I hope he aint, so we can get rid of Berto's sorry ass

Comment

I think Quintana is going to pull off the upset though I wouldn't consider it a massive upset as he has proven to have good skill and beaten some solid opposition, while Berto really is very unproven thus far and I thought he clearly lost to Collazo.

He seems like mostly just flashy hand speed and nothing else, but I guess we will find out.

Comment

The #1 Rican nuthugger (Ch@mpbox) on this site will claim that Quintana is drained while it's Berto who looked puffed up at the press conference with Mosley and has had to deal with the earthquake.

Comment

hell yeah war quintana!

Comment

I'll be rooting for Quintana.

Comment

Working...
                    X