No announcement yet.

Boardwalk Empire stinks

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by savorduhflavor View Post
    And more importantly.....there's a difference between liking a show and being able to acknowledge the quality of a show.

Me...not a huge Sopranos fan. Just never loved it like everyone else. But I can watch it and appreciate the quality. It's a well done show, I just never really got into it. But I never went on some tangent saying anyone that likes it is some wanna be poser yuppie just liking anything HBO puts out.
    Good example and I'm the same way - was never a huge Sopranos fan although they had (at least) a couple of brilliant seasons.

One thing about the Sopranos, though - I don't like it as much upon rewatch. Once seems to be enough for me. Whereas The Wire, I can watch over and over and over, and appreciate it even more, especially the eps I wasn't completely crazy about. I can honestly say that whatever people would regard as the worst Wire episode ever is still better written than 95% of what any other series can call their best episode.

I've met a lot of people who never watched The Wire, and even far too many who never even heard of it. But very seldom do you hear of anyone who watched and didn't like it. At the very least, they respect the writing, the depth and the realism, even if deciding it's not for them.

As far as Boardwalk Empire... I have to admit it took me a couple of viewings before appreciating the first episode. I'm a lifelong Scorsese junkie and also a big Steve Buscemi (in fact my favorite season of Sopranos was when he was on, along with all of the other gangsters released from prison), so I had very high expectations going in. Didn't grab me right away, but I loved the second ep and rewatched the premiere soon thereafter, which made it easier to take in.

Last night's ep was alright, but not great and was certainly way too short. I could be mistaken, but seemed like there was close to 10 minutes left on the clock by the time the credits began to roll.

Comment

Eastbound and Down is a very good show.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan... View Post
        Eastbound and Down is a very good show.
        I just began playing catchup with that show. HBO's boxing schedule was thin enough in the past few years to where I canceled subscription moments after the series finale of The Wire a couple of years ago. I only ordered for whatever fights I wanted to watch/had to cover for the site, and would unsubscribe as soon as I hit "send" to publish.

Anyway, just recenty kept HBO in the regular rotation and accidentally caught a few minutes of EB&D. Decided to watch from the beginning via OnDemand and love it so far, though I'm only halfway through S1.

Comment

Originally posted by INSECT View Post
          The best show they've ever done is Big Love, everything else has been overrated trash that yuppies and wannabe yuppies watch to try to be cool.

To be fair, I never watched the Soprano's so I wont pass judgment on that. Curb was on the path to ATG until they reached season 4 at which point it became a cliche of itself.
          I want that sig. Send it to me.

Comment

I'm enjoying it so far, haven't seen ep. 3 yet though. I don't think it's quite an Oz or The Wire or Sopranos but it has a tonne of potential. The subject is so fascinating that it'll be difficult for it not to be great - I especially can't wait until Capone and Luciano really start making moves. Stephen Graham for Capone was great casting too; glad he's finally starting to receive the recognition he deserves.

Comment

I think the show is great. But the one criticism I have heard a lot is that it's "slow." Not sure if that has anything to do with the series being a period piece about 1930s prohibition. Some people might not be into the setting maybe and prefer shows that take place in modern times/now.

While I don't think the show is groundbreaking (doesn't have to be), the first two episodes I thought were really well made. The way they introduced your man Al and Nucky trying to help his man out by telling the girl he was gonna be a judge in a beauty pageant are small moments that I enjoyed a lot. The acting is pretty good too.

Comment

I watched the second and third episodes of Boardwalk Empire while being here on BoxingScene and I guess I made a big mistake by missing the first episode. Trying to give the show time to heat up. I'm sure I'll get into I suppose.

Comment

you got to give this show a chance. there's only been 3 episodes. the 1st one was great but the 2nd & 3rd ones have been slow.

Comment

Working...
                  X