Comments Thread For: Robert Stieglitz-Arthur Abraham: Pre-Fight Report Card

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Robert Stieglitz-Arthur Abraham: Pre-Fight Report Card

by Cliff Rold - Win or go home.

There are few spectacles as intriguing as a fight where a formerly upper echelon battler finds himself in a legitimate must-win scenario. Once the most feared fighter in the Middleweight division, Arthur Abraham never got a crack at Jermain Taylor or Kelly Pavlik at 160 lbs. He settled instead for a series of strewn opponents, building his reputation but never getting the chance to truly show where he belonged with the best in the world.

Opportunity presented itself one division higher in the form of the Super Six Super Middleweight tournament. Moving up, Abraham was seen as one of the early favorites and walked through Taylor in the first preliminary contest, winning most of the rounds and finishing with a devastating knockout.

Then the wheels came off.

Abraham was dropped early and well behind against American Andre Dirrell in his second fight. It was a brush with adversity he’d seldom seen. Abraham began a late rally, scoring an uncalled knockdown in the tenth and forcing Dirrell into retreat mode. He didn’t keep his cool and, desperate, landed a foul hook after Dirrell slipped to the floor in the eleventh.

For the first time, Abraham was defeated, and ultimately that night by his own hands. He might have lost on the cards anyways, left pitching for a miracle. He didn’t give himself a chance to find out. Against Carl Froch, he was flaccid and defeated again in the final tournament preliminary. Despite showing signs of life, Andre Ward outclassed him over the stretch in the semi-finals. [Click Here To Read More]

Stieglitz may deserve to win a decision tomorrow (he's a better boxer than Abraham)- but it's not likely from the judges on a Sauerland card.

There are two possible results:

1) Abraham KO
    2) Stieglitz deserving a decision but Abraham gifted by the judges

Comment

Abraham by ko

Comment

Finally, I can come out of my hiatus.

Abraham can't afford to drop a decision here, he must drop Stieglitz. Whom I like, but am an Abraham fan through and through so I will be glued to this one.

Comment

I would LOVE to see Abe win the belt...as a fan I'll be cheering for him!!...BUT...Rob has the style to put Abe behind the ball all night long....he can box Abe's ears off and I am almost certain thats just what we will see happen...as a betting man I would put bread on Rob to win a decision and maybe stop Abe late...Wegner just might show how fed up he is with Abe and make him sit it out if it gets bad as I think it will be

Comment

Originally posted by SekondzOut View Post
            I would LOVE to see Abe win the belt...as a fan I'll be cheering for him!!...BUT...Rob has the style to put Abe behind the ball all night long....he can box Abe's ears off and I am almost certain thats just what we will see happen...as a betting man I would put bread on Rob to win a decision and maybe stop Abe late...Wegner just might show how fed up he is with Abe and make him sit it out if it gets bad as I think it will be
            Stieg stopping Abe won't happen ina million year mate ! Now if Stieg boxes cleverly he can win the fight, that's for sure.

Comment

Agree with the call Stiglitz while offensively good just aint good enough defensively too avoid that thunder AA stoppage after.Stiglitz has a good shot and i will be rooting for he has rebounded well since Andrade but have too favour AA too get it done

Comment

Steigletz isn't even that much bigger than Abe either.

If King Arthur can't beat this guy it's time to hang them up

Comment

Stieglitz is verry easy to hit. just watch his last two fights, he got hit more than often by C level opponent Nader Hamdan and no hoper Henry Weber. He was stopped already 2 times, so his chin is also questionable. Stieglitz is Taylor-made for Abraham.

Comment

Stieglitz by close decision, stick and move, throw the occasional 3-punch head/body combination. Championship rounds will be the most difficult. If Stieglitz's stamina can hold up for the entire 12, then he'll be ok. If it doesn't, then I expect Abraham to try and pound him away at the end. I hope Robert likes to clinch lol

Comment

Working...
                    X