Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What fights changed a fighters career,even if they won?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hopkins - Pavlik

Some people blame the liquor etc, but Hopkins is the Catalyst that sparked Pavliks downfall IMO

When you think about it, Hopkins seems to have captured a lot of souls over the years. Pavlik was doing the same thing himself. He basically derailed Zertuche, Miranda and Taylor.

Comment

Mugabi vs hagler
      Mugabi was never the same.

Judah after cotto

Cotto after Margo

Pacquiao after cotto has been on a light down slide. Ever since not as fast legs don't move as well.

Holyfield after the Ruiz fights

Frazier after the Forman fights

Liston after the Ali fights

Pep after the sandler fights

Comment

Hamed/Barrera

Comment

Originally posted by hotbox2316 View Post
          Corrales v. Castillo 1 I'm sure everyone here would agree neither fighter was the same after that war,true warriors still gives me goose bumps when I watch that fight.
          To be honest, I think they both were already on the declining when they both met. It was just such a great styles match up that we got the fight of fights.

I also think Bowe vs Golota changed both fighters. Andrew was landing some vicious vicious punches right on Riddick's chin that night, not to mentioned the vicious low blows as well. Golota also took some flush shots by Riddick and it didn't help that he got.stomped during the brawl as well.

Comment

Originally posted by larryx1950 View Post
            I agree Tarver -1 even tho Roy won changed him forever..Salido 1,2 may have derailed Lopz's career..Tito changed -Vargas's career.of course Douglas changed Mikes Career
            I disagree about Jones vs Tarver. I think it was actually the Ruiz fight that changed his career forever. He had to lose a lot of weight to come back down to fight at light heavy.

Like Roy said, against Ruiz he had the speed of a light heavyweight and the power of a heavyweight. Against Tarver he had the speed of a heavyweight and the power of a light heavyweight.

Comment

P-Will-Martinez is looking like to could be one, Paul has been pretty awful since that first fight, nevermind the rematch.

Shane was already nearly done, but his career was basically ended after the 4th round against Mayweather. They say power is the last thing to leave a fighter, Floyd's counter punches made Shane gun-shy and in turn took his power.

Comment

Originally posted by thiefery View Post
                To be honest, I think they both were already on the declining when they both met. It was just such a great styles match up that we got the fight of fights.

I also think Bowe vs Golota changed both fighters. Andrew was landing some vicious vicious punches right on Riddick's chin that night, not to mentioned the vicious low blows as well. Golota also took some flush shots by Riddick and it didn't help that he got.stomped during the brawl as well.
                Well originally I thought the same thing but in my opinion I think they would have beaten the best or at least give the best in that division the fight of their life that night and when they fought again it hardly lived up to the 1st match and their styles didn't change in my opinion the only thing that changed was having gone through hell a few months prior thus taking away what they once were. Your point is understood though.

Comment

Originally posted by BostonGuy View Post
                  Calzaghe-Lacy - Jeff Lacy was one of the hottest up-and-coming fighters in boxing at the time; he was knocking guys out left and right and seemed to have a promising future at SMW. In arguably Joe's best career performance, Lacy will beat pillar-to-post and taken to school for 12 rounds. Lacy was broken mentally/physically and was never able to get back to the top ranks again in his career.
                  Lacy was overrated just like most fighters are who have a high KO% coming up the ranks(some are the real deal though). Lacy was never really skilled he just wrecked people once he connected. I give Joe all the credit in the world. The beating Lacy got was coming soon once he faced a good boxer who could take a punch. James Kirkland is like the new Lacy to me in a way just a brawler with very little skills and a hell of a punch. Kirkland has more mentally than Lacy did though.
                  Last edited by tredh; 05-24-2012, 01:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MRBOOMER View Post
                    Mugabi vs hagler
                    Mugabi was never the same.

Judah after cotto

Cotto after Margo

Pacquiao after cotto has been on a light down slide. Ever since not as fast legs don't move as well.

Holyfield after the Ruiz fights

Frazier after the Forman fights

Liston after the Ali fights

Pep after the sandler fights
                    Judah was wrecked after Tyzu made him dance!!!! Had some decent wins after that but he was a mental midget after that KO.

Comment

Originally posted by PBP View Post
                      I disagree about Jones vs Tarver. I think it was actually the Ruiz fight that changed his career forever. He had to lose a lot of weight to come back down to fight at light heavy.

Like Roy said, against Ruiz he had the speed of a light heavyweight and the power of a heavyweight. Against Tarver he had the speed of a heavyweight and the power of a light heavyweight.
                      I agree with you that Jones comming down from HW did him more damage than good. IMO Roy did win the first Tarver fight

Comment

Working...
                      X