Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would Ali have been able to beat Joe Louis?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by greynotsoold View Post
    I don't believe that he was referring to 'just' the 1970s version of Ali. Also, you may forget, when Ali was supposedly at his best, in the 1960s, NOBODY was calling him "The Greatest", other than himself. While he was fast and had great reflexes, he was far from a complete fighter. Lots of wasted energy and motion.
    Be that as it may, I think that the 'prime' version of Ali would have troubled Louis with his movement, much like Conn. Unlike Conn, Ali did not have, at that point in time, much experience with top fighters (an aged, over the hill Liston not withstanding). Louis would have been too much for him, winning a clear decision with at least one knockdown or possibly stopping Ali.....Yeah, yeah I know great chin and all, but Sonny Banks and Henry Cooper dropped him- Cooper hurt him bad- and that is the time frame we are discussing, and Louis was a much better puncher than anybody Ali ever fought. (In terms of handspeed and his ability to put punches together)

Who knows? I did say in a previous post that I'd probably favour Louis over the pre Liston Ali as well as several versions of the 70s Ali; but in 1966/67 Ali was not the sloppy, energy wasting, spring heeled youngster.....he was quite something and had quite a few defenses behind him. The Terrel, Williams and Foley fights show a guy who was far superior to the youngster who met Banks, Jones and Cooper. I don't think Louis brought quite enough pressure to beat this version of Ali.

Comment

Idk I think Ali would win I don't think joes power or timing could win this one for him. Ali's felt with bigger punchers more pressure and more speed then joe has.

Joe Louis was a great fighter did lots of things most fighters couldn't do back then. But Ali was on another level hand speed foot speed and head movement that couldn't be matched and still hasn't. Plus he had a excellent chin.

But if joe lands a left hook seeing as how Ali was prone to those and he hurts him bad enough he might be able to finish him because joe was a hell of a finisher. But I don't see him being able to find Ali with it unless he lands some serious body shots to slow him down.

Comment

Yes, Ali was too fast on foot and too agile for Louis. Also, Ali had a better chin, quicker hands and esp quicker feet. Ali wins lopsided UD or late stoppage.

Comment

Originally posted by fight_professor
          Yes, Ali was too fast on foot and too agile for Louis. Also, Ali had a better chin, quicker hands and esp quicker feet. Ali wins lopsided UD or late stoppage.
          Ali by early stoppage

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android

Comment

Originally posted by KO'er View Post
            50/50 for me.

Joe never met a fighter as good as Ali in his prime, nor IMO did Ali meet a fighter as good as Joe Louis in his prime.
            Me too mate, and for the same reasons aswell.

And btw, See you're from Cork.. Gotta few boxing buddies from your part of the world..

Comment

Originally posted by Gudfella View Post
              Ali by early stoppage

Early stoppage?

How?

Comment

Originally posted by SBleeder
                Quote:

Originally Posted by Gudfella

Ali by early stoppage

Early stoppage?

How?
                billy conn had him but got ****y nd he was the far smaller fighter..Charles coulda finished him...joes chin wouldn't hold up from alis one two..nd he's not knocking Ali out nd damn sure beating Ali by decision...Ali had nearly a 70% ko ratio against ironed chin opposition..Ali by 6

Comment

Ali all day.

Joe Louis is an athletic stiff in comparison to Ali who was a pure athlete who flowed and was dynamic.

Joe Louis is your typical old school athlete old school vanguards like to mythologize to mythical proportions.

Comment

Originally posted by greynotsoold View Post
                    Eddie Futch always said that Joe Louis would have beaten Ali easily. And he watched Louis a lot, grew up watching him, and trained the two guys that gave Ali his hardest fights (Frazier and Norton).
                    Since Futch saw Louis as a young man, and Ali many years later... he will of course take Louis to win this dream match. It would be very strange, if he didn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Bundana View Post
                      Since Futch saw Louis as a young man, and Ali many years later... he will of course take Louis to win this dream match. It would be very strange, if he didn't.
                      I don't think that the first time he saw Ali was 1971. I'd be willing to bet that, being totally immersed in boxing (it being his livelihood and all) he had seen Ali over the course of his entire professional career.

Comment

Working...
                      X