No announcement yet.

Offense vs Defense

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Offense vs Defense

Okay i always wanted to ask in the history of boxing what was the greatest match where a defensive master won against a offensive master and vica versa because when everytime i see a fight defense will always defeat offense if you know the techniques

Chavez - Whitaker is the obvious one.
    Lionel Rose - Fighting Harada
    Jung Koo Chang - Hilario Zapata

Comment

Frazier-Ali I would qualify. Going in Ali was perceived as almost unhittable because of his speed and reflexes. And of course Frazier was known for his relentless offense.

Comment

Not the best example but Benitez-Duran I would say qualifies.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
          Not the best example but Benitez-Duran I would say qualifies.
          this one comes to mind for me as well I was suprised how close the scoring was even though I am a big Duran fan you had to marvel at benitez performance which I would say was the best of his carreer. It was a fight for the p4p best latin fighter.

Comment

I think the problem with the question is that the traditional offensive masters, Floyd Mayweather, Pernell Whitaker and Wilfred Benitez e.t.c. were all great offensively as well.

But I'll throw this one out there. Seeing as Locche's offense was never going to hurt anyone

Antonio Cervantes versus Nicolino Locche

First time, Locche schooled him, in the rematch Cervantes knocked him out.
            Last edited by Capaedia; 02-08-2013, 11:23 PM.

Comment

Pep vs Sadler! Willie was a Master boxer and great defensive boxer. Sandy was an offensive machine who was one of the hardest hitting feathers of all time!! I think Sandy won 2 out of 3 or 3 out of 4. Pep had fits with Sandy.
              Ray.

Comment

For one fight, the "rope-a-dope" proved rather effective. Need I elaborate?

Comment

I would go Rumble in the Jungle. It single-handedly invented a completely new defensive style against one of the most offensively minded fighters in history.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
                    Pep vs Sadler! Willie was a Master boxer and great defensive boxer. Sandy was an offensive machine who was one of the hardest hitting feathers of all time!! I think Sandy won 2 out of 3 or 3 out of 4. Pep had fits with Sandy.
                    Ray.
                    Exactly what I was thinking. In fairness Pep was past it but this is still the best example I can think of.

Poet

Comment

Working...
                    X