Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Please explain what an Interim Title is??

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please explain what an Interim Title is??

I'm confused on this...

Sergio Martinez just recently won the WBC Interim Title while Vernon Forrest is the actual WBC World Champ at Jr. Middleweight....

so what does the Interim title mean?? whats the point??

the belts are pretty much the exact same lookin green WBC belt.

please explain my friends...

It basically someone who has the right to fight the real champ next. It's bull it like a belt for a mandatory. Don't put any stock into it.

Comment

It means hes the madatory for the world champ belt which Vernon holds. In other words, he gets the next crack at the real one.

Comment

Originally posted by VanesBoxing View Post
        I'm confused on this...

Sergio Martinez just recently won the WBC Interim Title while Vernon Forrest is the actual WBC World Champ at Jr. Middleweight....

so what does the Interim title mean?? whats the point??

the belts are pretty much the exact same lookin green WBC belt.

please explain my friends...
        It means sanctioning fees basically. **** the alphabet belts!

Comment

An interim championship is a temporary world championship that is awarded in all four major sanctioning bodies of professional boxing (WBA, WBC, IBF, and WBO) and in other combat sports, such as kickboxing and mixed martial arts.

Occasionally, the world champion of a particular weight division is temporarily unable to defend his championship because of medical, legal, or other reasons that are beyond the champion's control. When this case occurs, two highly ranked contenders will fight for the interim championship of the same weight division—leading to two champions existing in the same weight division simultaneously. Once the world champion is able to return, he must fight against the interim champion. The winner of this bout reunifies the weight division as sole world champion. If the world champion cannot return or moves to a different weight division, the interim champion becomes the world champion.

Sanctioning bodies, however, sometimes abuse the interim championship system. One example was in the WBC's flyweight division in 2005–2006. Pongsaklek Wonjongkam had defended his world title 11 consecutive times. Number-one contender Jorge Arce won an interim championship bout instead of receiving a title shot against Wonjongkam, who continued to defend his world title. Arce defended his interim championship four times before he vacated it in order to move up to super flyweight. Wonjongkam eventually set the flyweight division record for consecutive title defenses, without ever fighting against interim champion Arce.

Another example is the WBAssinine with its Super Champion, Champion and Interim Championship belts all in the same weight class....They just want as much sanctioning money as possible, the greedy ****ers

Comment

thanks alot guys...

very helpful

though it makes more sense to me.. I still find it pointless that a Non-Champion recieves the exact same belt that a REAL champion does.

If I was fighting Id decline the interim title in hopes of waiting to soon win the REAL BELT.

Comment

As if having ALL these different belts aint bad enough we have got Interm champions, Super champions and Champion emeretius as well - CRAZY!

Comment

I knew what the interm champion was ,but can anyone please explain in detail a bit about the inter-continental belts ,the one Prescott holds?

Comment

Originally posted by alza1988 View Post
                  I knew what the interm champion was ,but can anyone please explain in detail a bit about the inter-continental belts ,the one Prescott holds?
                  Its just all BS bro. A strap to make a fighter look good(i dont know how that works), so people can hear the word "champion" when it comes to fight night. And not to mention it puts money in the bank for sanctioning bodies. Inter-continental is like you are the champion of a continent and not the world.

Comment

Working...
                  X