Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone have fights, but still have basic issues?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone have fights, but still have basic issues?

Ive had 6 fights and would think by now, id have my distance for punches down. however its still the hardest thing for me. today i sparred someone with no fights and still kind of a beginner,yet it was still a pretty good session where i found myself struggling at times. i know its gonna take more sparring to get used to, just wanna see if anyone is going through the same things and whats going on in youre head

Originally posted by FIGHTING_FLIP View Post
    Ive had 6 fights and would think by now, id have my distance for punches down. however its still the hardest thing for me. today i sparred someone with no fights and still kind of a beginner,yet it was still a pretty good session where i found myself struggling at times. i know its gonna take more sparring to get used to, just wanna see if anyone is going through the same things and whats going on in youre head
    I had plenty of issues with only 6 bouts under my belt, you're still relatively green at that stage, it takes alot of hard work to iron those out. Even though I may not have been perfect style wise I went ahead and excepted a bout against the reigning jr. class A national champion. I had been boxing about a year total at that time and still almost pulled out the fight. I had 5 fights coming in and this kid had around 70 fights or so. It was a really close bout but he ended up getting the decision. The best skills will not always gaurantee a win. You gotta figure in heart, balls and at that stage especially conditioning.

Just keep going to the gym and working hard, if your trainer is any good then those flaws will be ironed out with time, dedication and hard work.

You and your trainer need to get on the mitts to help find your range doing exercises that will help you find your range. Don't stress this at all, again go to the gym, bust your ass, do what your trainer tells you to do and in time your little problem will be resolved.

May I ask do you wear glasses or contacts?.........Rockin'

Comment

thanks alot Rockin'. you give the best advice on this forum. i think i read somewhere where you said you were a pro fighter before? how many amateur bouts and pro fights have you had?.

yeah i wear glasses,only at night time when im driving though

Comment

Originally posted by FIGHTING_FLIP View Post
        some people just have it bro. novice fighters win open tournaments some times. keep working hard but don't ever think someones going to be easy work because they have less experience. you'll be setting yourself up for disappointment.

Comment

see i didnt even read rockins post about about his j.o
          fight

Comment

Whats happening is, your mind is telling you the their body is 4 inches closer due to their hands out and naturally wanting to be hopeful. Always get closer than what you think is the minimum distance. Eventually the perfect distance will work its way out.

Comment

With only 6 fights, you've got a ways to go yet, so I wouldn't worry too much. I can guarantee you that in almost every championship pro fight you watch, both guys still have issues, be it footwork or dropping their hands when they punch, whatever. Spend time in front of the mirror and in the ring.
              Understanding range is possibly the most important thing in boxing because it allows you to avoid being hit without wasting energy and how to slip and counter effectively (by staying just barely out of range and them sliding in), and you'll rarely land effective punches if you are either too far away or too close. The heavy bag is a good place to work on this, especially now that you have some ring experience to help shape your work on the bag. The double end bag can be as well, as far as getting your weight turned on punches from a variety of distances, and having to adjust quickly.

Comment

Working...
              X