No announcement yet.

Problem In Job!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem In Job!

I'm asking for your opinions on a situation at work because I just started my shift and the guy I take over for just pi$sed me off again and need to vent a bit and can't speak about it with someone from work as they are all big mouths and can't be trusted!

I work in an office, there's an old guy about mid to late 50s. He does early mornings and I do afternoons. I take over for him about 12:30pm. We do same job, get same pay etc... but he feels he has the right to question me about what I do in the afternoons. He's always saying I don't do enough etc... when I feel he himself doesn't do as much as he could in the morning. As part of my job I've got to get the outgoing mail sorted and ready for collection. A bunch of mail came down yesterday after I had sorted and packed it all so I left it. The girl that brought it complained to the old guy. He starts questioning me on why I didn't put it out so I told him it was after the time etc... and he's standing over me looking down at me and I felt that urge to punch him. I was raging but kept it in! It's still eating me up now. I've never really talked back to him as I know it will lead to a big argument and if I take holidays he's got to cover my shifts and vice versa and I would hate having an atmosphere at work. Also he's said things like "If you want to continue working here you better shape up" As if he's got the power to fire me. **** pis$ses me off.

Should I bite my tongue and just ignore it or should I confront him tomorrow and tell him to back off? What would you do?
    Last edited by Pretty Boy1; 06-23-2011, 07:08 AM.

Tell him to suck a bag of dicks.

Comment

If you can continue with the way things are going and would rather avoid any confrontation, don't say anything
      If you're sick of the way he's speaking to you, tell him.

Comment

think of ur future. now stfu!

Comment

If your company has an HR department I would consider going to them and talking about the situation, also say you are being slightly harassed.

It gives you first mover advantage. Explain how you love your job and think youre doing a good job.

Comment

U say he isnt doing as much as u think he should?

Tell him the reason you're not getting as much done is that you've had to pick up work that he hasnt got done so u arent able to get stuck into what you're supposed to do straight away.

Explain to him that u didnt want to say anything as he's old (it really pisses people in their 50s of if u talk to them like they are a pensioner) and that you'll work harder to make sure that both of your workloads are complete by the end of the day so the boss doesnt start asking questions

He'll either take the piss and start leaving u even more work to do, or he'll bust his balls to prove he's not a grave dodger.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Pretty Boy1 View Post
                I'm asking for your opinions on a situation at work because I just started my shift and the guy I take over for just pi$sed me off again and need to vent a bit and can't speak about it with someone from work as they are all big mouths and can't be trusted!

I work in an office, there's an old guy about mid to late 50s. He does early mornings and I do afternoons. I take over for him about 12:30pm. We do same job, get same pay etc... but he feels he has the right to question me about what I do in the afternoons. He's always saying I don't do enough etc... when I feel he himself doesn't do as much as he could in the morning. As part of my job I've got to get the outgoing mail sorted and ready for collection. A bunch of mail came down yesterday after I had sorted and packed it all so I left it. The girl that brought it complained to the old guy. He starts questioning me on why I didn't put it out so I told him it was after the time etc... and he's standing over me looking down at me and I felt that urge to punch him. I was raging but kept it in! It's still eating me up now. I've never really talked back to him as I know it will lead to a big argument and if I take holidays he's got to cover my shifts and vice versa and I would hate having an atmosphere at work. Also he's said things like "If you want to continue working here you better shape up" As if he's got the power to fire me. **** pis$ses me off.

Should I bite my tongue and just ignore it or should I confront him tomorrow and tell him to back off? What would you do?
                No one likes being told to 'shape up'. It's one of the more exasperating cliches I know about.

You did not give a lot of detail about what is going on, but one of the details you disclosed was that mail came in after you had 'sorted and packed' what was already there. I think you should have sorted and packed the new mail that came in. It came in on your shift, you should have dealt with it. If it came in close to quitting time, then sort and pack what you can (while working diligently) until it is time to leave and then leave a note explaining it for him when he arrives in the morning.

But, if he does that to you and this was your chance for minor reprisal for his nonfeasance then I recommend that you simply do what you are responsible for doing and report him if he does not do his share. It is unjust to expect anyone to do anyone else's work if that person is capable of it himself/herself.

Whatever you do, do NOT lose your temper. You would be guilty of criminal conduct and likely become a pariah among potential employers. The dispute, no matter who is right and or wrong, should be brought to the human resources department. If you are this close to boiling over it might be time to address it directly.

Comment

Originally posted by Taaj Manzoor View Post
                  If all else fails I'll use this

Originally posted by TRAV1$ View Post
                  If you can continue with the way things are going and would rather avoid any confrontation, don't say anything
                  If you're sick of the way he's speaking to you, tell him.
                  Think I'll leave it until he starts up again then I'll tell him to mind his ****in business!!

Originally posted by love me View Post
                  think of ur future. now stfu!
                  I will!!

Originally posted by Who are you? View Post
                  If your company has an HR department I would consider going to them and talking about the situation, also say you are being slightly harassed.

It gives you first mover advantage. Explain how you love your job and think youre doing a good job.
                  The company isn't that big, it's a solicitors firm and the Partners are the bosses so it would be one of them I would have to tell. If it gets a lot worse I might have to.

Originally posted by gingeralbino View Post
                  U say he isnt doing as much as u think he should?

Tell him the reason you're not getting as much done is that you've had to pick up work that he hasnt got done so u arent able to get stuck into what you're supposed to do straight away.

Explain to him that u didnt want to say anything as he's old (it really pisses people in their 50s of if u talk to them like they are a pensioner) and that you'll work harder to make sure that both of your workloads are complete by the end of the day so the boss doesnt start asking questions

He'll either take the piss and start leaving u even more work to do, or he'll bust his balls to prove he's not a grave dodger.
                  He's that much of a c*nt he would probably do less which would infuriate me even more and I'd end up sending him to that grave early!!

Originally posted by Rich Loc Jr. View Post
                  Popular choice, by the looks of him I'd say he's sucked more than his fair share of bags of unwashed dicks!!

Comment

Originally posted by Nuurzhaelan View Post
                    No one likes being told to 'shape up'. It's one of the more exasperating cliches I know about.

You did not give a lot of detail about what is going on, but one of the details you disclosed was that mail came in after you had 'sorted and packed' what was already there. I think you should have sorted and packed the new mail that came in. It came in on your shift, you should have dealt with it. If it came in close to quitting time, then sort and pack what you can (while working diligently) until it is time to leave and then leave a note explaining it for him when he arrives in the morning.

But, if he does that to you and this was your chance for minor reprisal for his nonfeasance then I recommend that you simply do what you are responsible for doing and report him if he does not do his share. It is unjust to expect anyone to do anyone else's work if that person is capable of it himself/herself.

Whatever you do, do NOT lose your temper. You would be guilty of criminal conduct and likely become a pariah among potential employers. The dispute, no matter who is right and or wrong, should be brought to the human resources department. If you are this close to boiling over it might be time to address it directly.
                    I could have added that mail but I was trying to make a point. The girl that brought it down always brings it down at the last minute and I'm always scrambling about getting it added to the stuff I've packed. It worked aswell as she brought her mail down at half 4 instead of after 5 like usual today. My main problem is this old guy keeps questioning my work and what I do and lecturing me about things like this. He's not a manager and is the same level as me. For ages I've let it go over my head and bit my tongue. But recently especially today I could feel the anger building and it's really getting to me. I can't hit him because he's old and I would get fired and I don't want a bad atmosphere at work.

Comment

Working...
                    X