No announcement yet.

My top 20 greatest all time IF YOU DONT AGREE I WILL EXPLAIN

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My top 20 greatest all time IF YOU DONT AGREE I WILL EXPLAIN

My list isnt just based on a fighters record, but their skill, longevity, and dominance during their prime...Im not gonna hold losses against fighters who were shot to **** at the twilight of their career

1)Sugar Ray Robinson
    2) Henry Armstrong
    3)Sam Langforde(never won a title but defeated world champions and hall of famers from lightweight to heavyweight)
    4)Harry Greb
    5)Wille Pep
    6)Benny Leonard
    7)Muhammad Ali
    8)Tony Canzoneri
    9)Ezzard Charles
    10)Floyd Mayweather
    11)Roy Jones
    12)Barbados Joe Walcott
    13)Charley Burley( he is so low because I havent watched much of him but his resume is great)
    14)Roberto Duran
    15)Sugar Ray Leonard
    16)Joe Louis( he may be a little low but I have to say his era at his weight class was onoe of the weakest ever.)
    17)Pernell Whitaker
    18)Charley Burley
    19)Barney Ross
    20)Kid Chocoalte

Too close to call, honorable mention....Hopkins, Eder Jofre, Sandy Saddler, Arguello, and Chavez

they are def. top 25

DISCUSS

Really solid list, I would have Leonard a little bit higher personally

Comment

Hell of a list I would have Joe Loius in the top 10 but besides that a hell of a list.

Comment

Cant see how you have jones and floyd above SRL

SRL defeated prime benetiz, hearns, duran, and ended the reign of hagler
        plus undfeated jr mid champ abyule

SRL had a short career but his accomplishments are amazing,,,,

Roy and floyd dont have the prime ATG HOFers names on their resume like SRL has duran hearns benetiz and hagler,,,,,

all in all you list is good but for me ALi is top 3 and SRL is top 5 for me....

but to each his own...... Good list, i agree with alot of names just not the rankings,, and i dont see how if jones and floyd are in there than hopkins and chanvez arent

Comment

no sven ottke, no joe calzaghe, no chris john. LIST INVALID.

Comment

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
            Cant see how you have jones and floyd above SRL

SRL defeated prime benetiz, hearns, duran, and ended the reign of hagler
            plus undfeated jr mid champ abyule

SRL had a short career but his accomplishments are amazing,,,,

Roy and floyd dont have the prime ATG HOFers names on their resume like SRL has duran hearns benetiz and hagler,,,,,

all in all you list is good but for me ALi is top 3 and SRL is top 5 for me....

but to each his own...... Good list, i agree with alot of names just not the rankings,, and i dont see how if jones and floyd are in there than hopkins and chanvez arent
            Agree with you I also have Ali and Leonard in my top 5. Ali is top 3 in my books only because of his win against Foreman which is imo the greatest win ever. Still a good list though

Comment

1. SRR
              2. Ali
              3. Armstrong
              4. SRL
              5. LEonard

Comment

Originally posted by dc3383 View Post
                Hell of a list I would have Joe Loius in the top 10 but besides that a hell of a list.

thanks man, I just did it on the fly, I use to be real maticulous about them but just wanted to get you guys opinion.

What hurts his standing is the era he fought in wasnt all that great often fighting the same guys a few times. Also, I dont see any other GREAT heavyweight champion struggling the way he did with Billy Conn who was 170 pounds although a great, great fighter and the upset loss to a near washed up Schmeling.

Comment

Originally posted by therealpugilist View Post
                  My list isnt just based on a fighters record, but their skill, longevity, and dominance during their prime...Im not gonna hold losses against fighters who were shot to **** at the twilight of their career

1)Sugar Ray Robinson
                  2) Henry Armstrong
                  3)Sam Langforde(never won a title but defeated world champions and hall of famers from lightweight to heavyweight)
                  4)Harry Greb
                  5)Wille Pep
                  6)Benny Leonard
                  7)Muhammad Ali
                  8)Tony Canzoneri
                  9)Ezzard Charles
                  10)Floyd Mayweather
                  11)Roy Jones
                  12)Barbados Joe Walcott
                  13)Charley Burley( he is so low because I havent watched much of him but his resume is great)
                  14)Roberto Duran
                  15)Sugar Ray Leonard
                  16)Joe Louis( he may be a little low but I have to say his era at his weight class was onoe of the weakest ever.)
                  17)Pernell Whitaker
                  18)Charley Burley
                  19)Barney Ross
                  20)Kid Chocoalte

Too close to call, honorable mention....Hopkins, Eder Jofre, Sandy Saddler, Arguello, and Chavez

they are def. top 25

DISCUSS
                  I just can't see On accomplishments alone having Floyd and Roy ahead of Duran, leanord and Pernell Whitaker. Just going through the list of top 5 fighters Leonard and Pernell fought and beat eats up what floyd/Roy have done. Is your list based on accomplishment or who would win in a p4p sense?

Comment

people have to make lists with arbitrary criteria in order to place floyd so high. if you made a list based on the most important thing in boxing resume floyd would be nowhere near the top.

skill? completely subjective and dependent on competition. anyone looks great against guys they hand pick.

longevity? ottke, calzaghe, john, cuenca, grigorian. all these guys had longevity. that means they are great fighters? also retiring for long stretches and barely fighting surely has an advantage over past eras where guys who fought 4-5 times a year.

dominance? once against dependent on your competition. not very hard to dominant when you are only fighting the guys that you want to fight. if pac fought 20 margaritos in a row he would be the most dominant fighter of all time!

you can't be one of the greats of all time if you refused to fight the best of your time.

Comment

Working...
                    X